Light Spinning Reel category

Started by Whit, September 02, 2017, 02:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Friends:

Not quite sure where to post this, because its not exactly about fixing reels, although I will point out some design issues that create a need for fixing.  But here goes:

I like the way Fred thinks about the reels that were in common use during, say, the 1970's give or take.   As a boomer, this generation of reels is what I grew up on.  Comparing them to todays reels made for the average person, they win hands down, every time, IMO.   Penn, Quick, Mitchell, Abu, Shakespeare, and others.

When it comes to light fresh water, and spinning, I was inspired by the full page ads - sometimes multi page ads -  in the outdoor magazines of the day that touted Mitchells such as the 408 as the cats meow, and just had to have one.   Unfortunately my newspaper boy earnings of the day had me a bit short when I went to buy one - they were like 25-30 bucks back then, but I did walk out with a small Japanese ultralight that worked for a while - although it also fed the flames of a lifelong passion.  I did eventually get a 408, and a Shakespeare 2052, and....  Anyway, over the years, I've expanded my collection but always seem to gravitate back to reels of that era, settling on the smallish reels for pretty much any need I might have for freshwater spinning or light salt water casting light lures, with line up to about 8 lb test.  Over the years the preferences for this application have sorted themselves out, so I will list in descending order what my conclusions are, but all are winners.

1)  Penn 430SS.  Rock solid, metal construction, skirted spool.  IMO the epitome of this subset of reels.  Weaknesses: a smidge heavy, loud clicker, easily bent or broken handle.   Runner up 4300ss.  I've used this on everything from brook trout to Redfish, even snook.
2)  Mitchell 408.   smooth and fast, light. Easy to get parts for. Weaknesses:  Parts are needed (although available), real stand too thick for many smaller rods, lighter lines get caught behind the spool very easily. Drag adequate but not as good as the multi disk Shakespeare. Runner up 308.
3)  Shakespeare 2052.  Smooth, very easy to fish, simple worm gear type drive, multi drag stack.  Weaknesses: Plastic spool, line behind spool (although on earlier models the spool had a slot where you could install a pipe cleaner to keep the line out), line gets easily caught around the roller assembly.  Now a bit harder to get parts for.  I've caught stripers up to 26 lbs on this reel.
4)  Alcedo Micron.  I have one from the 1950's that was originally owned by Charles Ritz.  Love this reel.  I use it for trout streams, so its strictly ultra light.  Weakness: optimum line size ends at about 4 lb mono.  I haven't needed parts for it in over 30 years, nor have I done much more than spritz it with a little Corrosion X.  A joy in sweet water.
5) there have been others, Diawas, Shimanos, etc, but none of those really ever lit a flame even if nice.

Except for the Alcedo, I mount these most often on rods 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 ft long these days. 

With this said, there are three additional reels that this board has inspired me to pick up on and explore.

1) The small Quicks, like the Microlite and the 110.  I have used a 220 in the past, and preferred others like the Cardinal 4 in that size range, so have not done much exploration there.  I do have a Microlite, but have not used it.  Looks like it will be a stretch to go above about 4 lb test, given the spool diameter.
2) The Cardinal 3.   I have fished the larger ones and loved them, and once had one of the black (grey?) Cardinal 3's which I didn't care for and sold.  But one of the green and white ones - I believe is worth pursuing.
3) The Orvis 50a.  Back in the day I considered this to be a bit of a shi-shi reel, and spendy, and shied away from them in favor of my more mainstream reels, but they were well made and incredibly smooth. 

So thanks to this board, I'm about to revisit some of the classics, and perhaps my lineup. 

Any thoughts welcome!

Whit

Newell Nut

The 5500SSs are some fine little reels from the old days. Sure enjoy mine on anything inshore except a tarpon.
They weigh at 16 oz and very sturdy.

foakes

Thanks, Whit!

Good subject to explore for many of us.

Personal favorites are the DAM Quick 265 Microlite, Cardinal 3, Daiwa 500C, Penn 420SS.

Reels I need, but do not have at the present time, are: Penn 714 & 716 old greenies, DAM Quick 1001.

Reels that are nice, but IMO -- hard to work on and tough to get parts for are the Orvis 50a & Alcedo Microns.  Nice little reels -- but a hassle when a bail spring, spool, or crank gets busted.

DAM Quicks may be in the same category as the two above reels -- except that I have been fortunate enough to have possibly one of the largest inventories of old Quick parts in the world.  These are for rebuilds, and offered to Ohana members.  So I am lucky in that regard.

Same with the old Mitchell's & Penns -- plenty of parts in inventory.

Here is one of the ultralight and microlite spinner bins -- in no particular order:

Shimano MLX
Shimano AXUL-S
Daiwa RB 700
Daiwa 1000C
Shakes Sigma 2200 025
Abu Cardinal C3
Olympic Perfecta 200
ABU 752S
Daiwa 70X
Daiwa Mini-Spin
Daiwa 500C
Daiwa 700C
Mitchell 408
Shakes Super Sigma RD 030
Abu Cardinal 653
Alcedo Micron
Alcedo 142
Zebco 707
Shakes 2052
Olympic Zebra 800
Abu Cardinal 3
DAM Quick 238
Penn 4200SS
Martin Perfecta 27
DAM Quick 1000
DAM Quick 265 Microlite
DAM Quick 110
Daiwa 7250 RLA
Daiwa 7270A
Mitchell 308
Mitchell CAP

All good reels that I will and do fish.  

Am looking forward to using that Martin Precision 27.

And believe it or not -- that Daiwa 7250 RLA is one of the nicest operating ultralites I have ever used -- after a complete restore.  Cheap and capable...

Just my mostly biased personal opinions... ;D ;D ;D

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Fred Ill see if I can dig up the 716 and 714 reels for you.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on September 02, 2017, 06:09:49 PM
Thanks, Whit!

Good subject to explore for many of us.

Personal favorites are the DAM Quick 265 Microlite, Cardinal 3, Daiwa 500C, Penn 420SS.

Reels I need, but do not have at the present time, are: Penn 714 & 716 old greenies, DAM Quick 1001.

Reels that are nice, but IMO -- hard to work on and tough to get parts for are the Orvis 50a & Alcedo Microns.  Nice little reels -- but a hassle when a bail spring, spool, or crank gets busted.

DAM Quicks may be in the same category as the two above reels -- except that I have been fortunate enough to have possibly one of the largest inventories of old Quick parts in the world.  These are for rebuilds, and offered to Ohana members.  So I am lucky in that regard.

Same with the old Mitchell's & Penns -- plenty of parts in inventory.

Here is one of the ultralight and microlite spinner bins -- in no particular order:

Shimano MLX
Shimano AXUL-S
Daiwa RB 700
Daiwa 1000C
Shakes Sigma 2200 025
Abu Cardinal C3
Olympic Perfecta 200
ABU 752S
Daiwa 70X
Daiwa Mini-Spin
Daiwa 500C
Daiwa 700C
Mitchell 408
Shakes Super Sigma RD 030
Abu Cardinal 653
Alcedo Micron
Alcedo 142
Zebco 707
Shakes 2052
Olympic Zebra 800
Abu Cardinal 3
DAM Quick 238
Penn 4200SS
Martin Perfecta 27
DAM Quick 1000
DAM Quick 265 Microlite
DAM Quick 110
Daiwa 7250 RLA
Daiwa 7270A
Mitchell 308
Mitchell CAP

All good reels that I will and do fish.  

Am looking forward to using that Martin Precision 27.

And believe it or not -- that Daiwa 7250 RLA is one of the nicest operating ultralites I have ever used -- after a complete restore.  Cheap and capable...

Just my mostly biased personal opinions... ;D ;D ;D

Best,

Fred

And you claim you don't collect!  ::)  Do you have swamp land in the desert to sell, too?  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Thanks, Keith --

I have lots of NOS parts for the 716 & 714 -- just never had the reels.

They will be a personal arsenal.

Just let me know how much to send you, and I will get it in the mail.

Actually, I don't collect, Tommy -- just more of a caretaker as stuff passes through my hands on to other caretakers.

Many of us, as we get a little more seasoned in years -- and have disposed of many estates for families of reel collectors -- realize that what gives us pleasure -- does absolutely nothing for 99.5% of the rest of the world.

For me, more pleasure is gained by just being a reel mechanic -- and I try to keep back one of everything, for now anyway. 

Someday, it will all just be passed on to others.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Fred isn't like us Tommy,
He is an assembly line. All the reels are just going by.
He picks one out for himself once and a while. ;)
Life is Good!

happyhooker

I like handling a nice reel & just looking at 'em, but the piece d'resistance is fishing with them--what they were made to do.

Frank

Midway Tommy

The Pescador 300, Ted Williams 300, Ted Williams 310 and Ted Williams 350, all by Zangi of Italy, aren't bad little ultra-lights, either. Nor is the Pflueger Supreme 550.

I've worked on most all of those reels previously mentioned and fished with a good number of them, too, and I still prefer the smoothness, braking and reliability of the Cardinal 3s, non-skirted or skirted, it doesn't really matter much to me. The one thing that seems to come to the front for those that have a problem with line getting behind the spool on non-skirted spinning reels is they are allowing too much slack line at times, which sneaks back around the spool flange. There's no way that can happen if the line is kept tight. I've never seen that as a problem, myself.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

festus

Fred, what is this goldish, tannish colored reel? It reminds me of a Browning but shaped differently.

foakes

Alcedo, Chester --

6.6 oz -- made in Italy.

These are well made reels.  Slightly larger than an Alcedo Micron.

Not easy to work on without a little fore-knowledge -- because parts will break -- and they are made of "unobtaniumassi"...

Might also be a Cargem from Italy -- they were similar, and mine has no badge since the glue failed.

Likely approaching 60 years old, fairly soon.

Best,

Fred

Something in the back of my mind was bugging me about this reel.  While made in Italy, likely by Alcedo, Zangi, Cargem, or Ofmer — the color was not right.

This is an EAGLE CLAW E C O ITALY OFMER SPINNING REEL.

As you can see, the light bronze color kind of closely matches the bronze components on the old Wright-McGill Eagle Claw Rods such as the Trailmaster's and others made by Eagle Claw.

US, European, and Japanese quality reel manufacturers, routinely made batches and runs of reels for US retailers — DAM, Alcedo, Zangi, Daiwa, and many others.

They were typically changed in color and badging — then rebranded under names like Eagle Claw, Sears, Herter's, LL Bean, Orvis, and others.

My guess as to age might be somewhere around the late 60's to early 70's.

Good Reel, as you can see from the drive train.

Sorry for the confusion on my part...

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

Fred; You never cease to amaze all of us!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on April 26, 2018, 02:24:56 PM
Fred, what is this goldish, tannish colored reel? It reminds me of a Browning but shaped differently.

Chester,

The bronze color was standard Eagle Claw at the time, including a couple of subsequent mid '70s Japanese made models. The Ofmers were all circa early '70s, The opposite/right side will have etched letters indicating which model it is and a round recess where the Wright & McGill/Eagle Claw medallion should be glued:
ECO......UL
ECP .....Lite ...4:1
ECQ......Lite...5.5:1
ECR......Medium....4:1
ECRU....Medium....5.5:1
ECS......Heavy
ECT......Heavy Saltwater
ECU.....Large Heavy Saltwater.

They also, in the late '60s sold, by Shakespeare:
ECL......UL....2052
ECM.....Lite...2062
ECH.....Large...2081

Interestingly, Zangi made three models for True Temper (Tru-Spin) with basically the same bronze body color, but they had a gold rotor cup.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

festus

Interesting reading, Fred, thanks for all that information.  Now I recall hearing of some Eagle Claw reels made in Italy by Ofmer.  Matter of fact some were for sale online a while back.

So Tommy, were these ECL, ECM and ECH reels also a bronze color?

festus

Yep, I Googled and found a pic.  I'd seen these before somewhere on the net and had no clue they were actually Shakespeare.