Newell G220-F slipping.....?

Started by Panama, June 07, 2011, 03:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panama

Been getting advise for a while on this post, finally registered.  I bought my first Newell reel last weekend. It is a used reel that was lightly used. Mechanically and cosmetically sound. Took it apart and cleaned it as directed on this site.  Works great and the free-spool feels smooth.  The problem is when I engage the reel it sometimes turns a few times then the pinion appears to "click" into place.  The pinion and gear seem to be fine, no dull or broken teeth.  How do I correct this?  Should this be a concern?
Get on the water, Man!!!

ReelSpeed

It depends on if it is one turn or a few turns.. the pinion gear has two flats inside where it mates up with the spool..like so:

when you engage the reel, sometimes it takes a second before it mates up with the correct spot on the spool.

you can check to make sure both flats are still in good shape on the underside of the pinion gear as well as checking the flats on the spool. 
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Bryan Young

If your eccentric springs are weak, pull them out, give them a pull to spread them apart further and re-install.  Another thing is that your pinion gear may be getting stuck the shaft.  you can either polish the inside of the pinion gear with a drill or the spool shaft with extra fine sandpaper and coat with your thin lube and try again.  Those are the two common things I have found when engagement is sketchy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

If the pinion gear looks like the one in ReelSpeed's first photo, thoroughly clean all of the crud out first. ;D  That picture is an obvious "before proper care" photo. ;) Then clean and polish (and stretch the springs) as needed like Bryan and Aaron said.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Panama

Thanks for the great and rapid responses.  I checked the pinion gear and spool.  They are a little worned....slight curved on the top edges where they should be flat.  I did pull the spring a little, greased and reassembled.  Still same effect, thou not as much.  If I put pressure on the spool after engaging then turning it click in right away.  I will fish the reel to test and I guess I am to replace both pinion and spool soon if I want it to work perfectly.  Thanks again gents.....
Get on the water, Man!!!

ReelSpeed

Well considering that a new spool and pinion for that reel is much easier said than done.. I would first try replacing the springs with new ones.  The other thing you might be able to do is mess around with the bearing shims and make the spool sit a little closer to the right sideplate.  Does the spool look to correctly centered?  If it is a little too far towards the left sideplate, that could be your problem.  Anyway, just something else to check out.

Aaron
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Panama on June 07, 2011, 07:53:27 PM
If I put pressure on the spool after engaging then turning it click in right away.  I will fish the reel to test .........

How fast are you turning the handle after you engage the spool to the pinion. If it will engage properly with a little pressure on the spool, try turning the handle slower while you're out "testing ;D ". Tight lines!!
Rob

Panama

Well....I took the reel into newell which is right down the street for a quick look over.  Keith, the president of the company, wanted the reel so he traded me for a brand new S-220-5.  I figured why not!!!  I am going to fish the reel so why not fish a new reel.  Win-win for both parties.  I get a new reel I can fish and he gets a collectible.  Great people, great company.  All praises to Newell.  I will be using more newell reels.
Get on the water, Man!!!

Norcal Pescador

Great! Problem solved. 8)  I like my 220-5. If only I wasn't such a Penn guy. ;D ;D
Rob
Rob

alantani

deburring the pinion gear and polishing the spool shaft might have worked as well, but this solution sounds the best.  so panama, do you have a connection to the president of newell ?  i would love to get some face time with the guy.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Panama

Would be happy to have a word with him for you Alan or connect you both.  Send me a pm and we shall discuss!
Get on the water, Man!!!

alantani

i will give you a call.  it would be great to get him over to the site and let him look around here for a while. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!