Lost freespool after service my conventional reels

Started by wadefisherman, June 07, 2011, 09:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wadefisherman

Please help....

I just serviced couple conventional reels:  Jigging Master PE6 and Alutecnos Gorilla 12.  The problem I have is that both reels won't go into freespool when the lever is moved all the way back to the free position.  I have to hold the spool tight and give the handle a slight crank....then I have freespool.  What did I do wrong?  Does it have something to do with the preset knot or cam?  Thanks in advance for the advices.

Hadge

Hi there, I'm just a beginner at this but you must have something binding the spool. The list would be too long to talk about.
You will have to break them down again and look at every little part to fine the part that is in wrong. You just can't be to carful putting everything back. hope you fined it and good luck.
Hadge
???
Hadge

Nuvole

Happen to me when I newly greased bearings with tacky marine grease.
If that's the case, it will be fine after a while.
You may also wish to look at your clutch washer configuration, and clutch preset setting.

Alto Mare

Hello and welcome. Having the same problem on both reels that you worked on, leads me to believe that there is a problem with the re-assembly as Hadge mentioned, but it could be something else. Before getting too deep into it, I would recommend disassembling the reels and start all over :-\. If that doesn't do it, we're here to help. Good luck! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wadefisherman

I broke up both reels for annual mantenance.  I repacked all bearings with grease except the spool bearing/shaft with TSI-301.  I also regreased both carbon fiber drag washers with smooth drag.  For JM reel, I got about 2 mins of freespool before putting the side frame on.  Or 1 min and 30 secs with the frame one but without the preset knob installed.  However, after installation of the preset knob, I don't get any more freespool even if I backed off the preset knob.  However, if I hold the spool tight and crank the handle slightly, I get the freespool again.  Both of the reels are very tight tolerance.  I guess I might put too much smooth drag on the fiber drag washers....

Bryan Young

I'm not familar with those reels, so please bear with me.

If the reels' drag system is provide with a present cam under the preset know, is it off by 90 Degrees?  If not, try taking the preset knob off (or plate if it's mounted to the plate) and back out manually, with a screw driver, the screw cam.
Is the right side plate bearing seated fully in the bearing up?
Is the spool shaft properly seated in the left side bearing?
Did you wipe the grease off the drag washer?
Is the drag washer properly seated? 
Is the pressure plate secure (not wobbly between the hub and the pressure plate)?
If your reel is provided with drag cooling covers, is it rubbing against the pressure plate?
Did you install the spring between the spool bearing and the pressure plate?
Is there grease on the shaft and the pressure plate bearing?
Did you change the bevel stack height by changing configurations?

That's all I can come up with at the top of my head.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

when you install the cam, the lever has to be in the "free" position.  that's my first thought......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wadefisherman

Problem Solved!

I just broke up the two conventional Jigging Master PE6 and Alutecnos reels again.  I cleaned out all the excessive greases from the bearings, main gears and fiber drag washers.  After putting them back together, I got about 2 mins freespool for the Jigging Master PE reel and 45 secs for the Alutecnos Gorilla 12 reel.  I just realized that most of the newer PE reels have very tight tolerance.   I need to get rid of my bad habit of putting too much oil/grease on the reels that I work on.  Thanks everyone for advices.