Curado 300DSV Kick Lever "Jumping the Tracks"

Started by baybassboy, June 09, 2011, 01:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baybassboy

I got a few questions for you reel pros before I either order some parts from Shimano, or make the trip to Irvine to have them work on the reel.

First off, I am fairly proficient at working on reels.  I learned to do so while working for John Doughty at JD's Big Game here in Newport for nearly 5 years.  I would say that I have the most experience working on low profile baitcasters as 90% of my fishing days are spent on the 3 saltwater basses and I maintain 15+ of my own low profiles from Shimano, Abu Garcia, and Daiwa, and many oter reels for friends.

Yesterday, I encountered an issue that I have never seen before, and I am having a difficult time identifying the culprit.  The reel in question is a Shimano Curado 300DSV.  The schematic is located at :

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Low_Profile/07CU300DSV_v1_m56577569830642638.PDF

Last night, I clicked the reel out of gear, and it would not re-engage.  Also, the spool would hardly turn despit being disengaged.

This morning, I opened up the reel and found that the clutch pawl/kick-lever (BNT 3703) had jumped over the guide tracks on the main reel frame (2 tracks at the bottom of BNT 3706), and it had become jammed under the gear/drive assembly.  This explains why the spool had difficulty turning, and the tab on the bottom of the clutch pawl could not clear back over the tracks because of the tension provided by the clutch pawl spring; thus, the reel would not re-engage or allow me to turn the handle. 

The red arrow and circle refer to the problem areas i just identified.

I thought it would be and easy fix.  I basically disassembled the reel (so as to not "force" parts back into place) and then reassembled with all parts in their proper place, tightened all screws, and tested.  Within 3 tries of disengaging the reel, the same thing happened again.  Broke it down, re-assembled, and the problem quickly came back again.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed a few possible issues.

First, on the lower side of the clutch cam (BNT 2406), the ramp that raises the yoke (BNT 2801) is bent inward.  It is a slight bend, but obviously it is not right and should probably be replaced.  This issue is circled in pink in the above picture.

Second, when reassembled in the proper position, the clutch cam has A LOT of play.  The bottom side of the cam does not rest firmly against the frame like it is supposed to (I even compared it to a couple more Curados and there was a noticeable difference).  This play is all the wiggle room the cam needs to "jump the tracks" when disengaged.

So... my questions for you guys are:

Have any of you ever experienced a similar issue?

What could be causing the play in the cam?

Are there other parts that may be contributing to the problem?  (possibly the clutch plate being bent or a problem with the clutch plate shaft support)

The Clutch Pawl itself is in perfect condition (stainless, not pot metal), and the tracks on the frame are not worn.

Let me know what you guys think

alantani

we talked about this on bloodydecks.com, but i forgot if it was ever resolved........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Zimbass

This post was on the forum a couple of years ago, but does not seem to have been concluded.

I have a customers reel that is doing exactly the same thing as baybassboy posted. When the drag is tightened the clutch bar can be depressed and the reel disengages. However, once the drag is loosened, the clutch pawl jumps out of the tracks, and lodges under the anti-reverse ratchet !!!

I also see that there is play under the clutch cam, but there is no wear to show that the part is worn. Although over 7 years old, the reel is little used, and in as near as new condition.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers, Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

alantani

Bryan Young

I've had this issue on several reels that came in for servicing.  Fustrating that I just wanted to quite servicing these types of reels.  Once thing that I had found is that I would only see it if the drag washer under the main gear was not thick enough.  How thick?  I don't know.  It was an experiment until it worked worked.  In some cases, I needed to double up on the Carbontex drag washer.  Maybe it has to do with the reel always having a slight pressure on the rachet for the kick lever.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Zimbass

Thanks Alan and Bryan. Will wait to see if Shimano respond.

The drag washers are as new, but the fact that this issue does not occur when the drag is tight, makes sense that the issue is there. Once Shimano respond, if they do, then I will look at adding a thicker washer under the main gear.

alantani

finally got a response!

Quote from: Bantam1Make sure the clutch cam is not cracked or broken (BNT2406). I have seen them break from the pinion bearing being corroded and the customer forcing the clutch. More than likely the issue is with the cam or the pawl.

Zimbass

Thanks Alan.

What Bantam1 says make sense, but it is not the case with the reel I have. Will add a drag washer and see how that works out.