Penn Senator 115L USA MADE!!

Started by Salahayano, June 09, 2011, 09:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salahayano

Hello everybody,

I've just bought the Penn Senator 115L, I was told that it is the USA MADE one, unfortunately when I received it I discovered that the reel has no MADE IN USA written on it,
but it is written on the package.
Please help, am so afraid it is the Chinese made putted in a USA package.
Please help if there is any way to differentiate between both.

Thank you.

ReelSpeed

It is a very easy answer..If the reel costs more than $250, it is made in the USA.. If not, well, probably China..maybe other places.  Maybe they are going through old packaging? 
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Salahayano

Actually it is for $140..
I bought it from Tackledirect.com, I believe it's a very good site, the sales rip there said it is american, so what do you think??

alantani

i do not know about the larger reels, but i have found that the chinese jigmasters are better than the older US made ones.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Salahayano,

No question about it... the 115L's on Tackledirect are USA made... rest easy friend! 
Dom

Salahayano

Broadway, i don't know why i feel trust in your replay, may be cuz you sounds 100% sure.
The only problem my friend is that there is nothing that proves that it is made in USA.

ReelSpeed

Looks like this post really helped you... I told you it isn't and Dom told you it was!  ;D ;D That is awesome!

Everything I have heard from Penn recently is that every reel under $250 will not be made in the USA.  Now, that doesn't mean that the reel you have is not an older model that was??  Maybe Dom can give us some info...
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Salahayano

Reelspeed, the points that makes me a little sure that it is made in USA:

1- Tackledirect.com, as it have a great service, and i don't think they would lie to sell a product.
2- Before choosing TackleDirect to buy from, I've found the same reel on many other websites at the same range (from $135 to $160), they all write MADE IN USA.
3- However, i don't know the difference between both the American and the Chinese, it seems of a very good quality.

Thank you all for your help,

Ahmed Salah.

Irish Jigger

Salahayano,if your reel was made in China I think it would be a 115L2 which would have a black plastic cover on the handle securing nut.

Salahayano

thank you Irish Jigger, but i think China has made some reels of the 115L also.

Alto Mare

I think Irish Jigger is right. There is something else that will tell you if that reel was made in China or not. Take it out on one or two trips and see if the screw heads and chromed parts start to show a hint of rust, if so, you know for sure that it is made in China.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

I am 100% sure because I called in Dec. or Jan. to ask John (boss man) at T.D. if it was made in the USA and his answer was YES!  T.D. bought out all the supply of Penn Senators when they found out they were out sourcing to China.  I bought 2 114hlw's for $159 each with the aluminum tunnel frame in January (USA made).  Look on T.D. now and you'll find the 115l and the 114hsp that are USA made for sale.  If you think I'm wrong or you're still unsure call John at T.D. and ask him.  Enjoy one of the last of the greats!
Dom

Alto Mare

115L are made in USA, 115L2 are made in China. The model L and L2 are not as good as the older 115 tanks.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Alto is 100% right...
I'll take a 115 (I have 4 from the early 40's to late 60's- they're tanks!) over the rest any day unless weight is an issue... then I take the 115l.
Dom