Need help in how to order new bearings

Started by steelfish, August 07, 2015, 05:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

It will only work with full ratios like 2 to 1, 3 to 1, 4 to 1, etc. It will not work with ratios like 2.2, 3.5, 4.8, etc. because every revolution of the main gear the marked pinion gear is in a different location.                           Rudy

boon

Quote from: swoffer on September 28, 2017, 01:28:58 AM
Hmmm , yeh I see what your saying there . In that case every 10th turn of the handle/main gear the marks would line up again and then following the same pattern of meshing it had from when it was originally assembled ? Never really thought about why it works , just know it makes a difference with feel in the hand (especially with spinners). Anyway , its just a personal thing .

Spinners often have "square" gears for the oscillation drive so that the spool moves at different rates depending where it is in the movement; if you don't line these gears up correctly the reel will feel nasty, but they usually have alignment marks on the gears when this is the case.

On a round reel? Unlikely to make a difference, as highlighted the gears are meshing with different teeth all the time. Notwithstanding that the moment you put the reel out of gear (star drag) and turn the handle you have affected the alignment anyway.

RowdyW

On a round reel? Unlikely to make a difference, as highlighted the gears are meshing with different teeth all the time. Notwithstanding that the moment you put the reel out of gear (star drag) and turn the handle you have affected the alignment anyway.
[/quote]On a star drag reel they never come out of gear. The lever just disengages the pinion from the spool.         Rudy

boon

Quote from: RowdyW on September 28, 2017, 02:23:22 AM

On a star drag reel they never come out of gear. The lever just disengages the pinion from the spool.         Rudy
[/quote]

Right you are, appears I disengaged my brain rather than my pinion  :D :D

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on September 27, 2017, 04:31:30 PM
look closely at the gear teeth and see if there is any damage.  i guess if you had to hammer in the pinion bearing, it might have been damaged in the process.  let's hope it's the bearing again, and not the gears. 

well I had a hard time with this reel looking for the problem of the grinding noise.

but before starting to look this reel again I serviced another talica, it was a talica 25II and everything went smooth as it should, I changed 4 bearing on it with the same procedures I made on the 20II one and the result was a nice and smooth cranking at 18# strike in high speed on the 25II reel.

then I went back to the 20II, and disambled everything again, clean it and greased them, but the same ugly noise was still there, long story short and after many trials and error, looking each rotating part, etc, etc I ended up checking just the gears in place and the pinion on the bearing and found the next, when I was spinning the pinion there was a rough contact between both in some places not everytime but only in few places, I feel a rough mesh 2 or 3 times per full revolution of the high speed gear, by sight I couldnt found any damage in the teeth on the hight speed gear or pinion in those spots (I must be bad on searching for small damages for sure), but the roughness is now located in the mesh of the high speed gear and small pinion, I put all parts again and tried cranking the reel, it was still grinding baddly as expected in high speed, but in low speed is pretty smooth and silent even on 15# drag.

I still have with me the talica 25II, would you recommed to try the high speed gear and small pinion from it into the 25II and try one each time to find the one that is damaged or better just order both parts from shimano?

PS: I think the pinion bearing didnt got damaged when I put in place the 1st time, this time I could took it out easily with a screwdriver pick, eventho I filed a bit just a surface of the sideplate hole for the bearing and this time went in easily.

The Baja Guy

handi2

You have to be careful when putting bearings in that are tight. Push on the outer race only. They can be damaged easily. I would make sure its still good.

I keep a huge inventory of bearings if ever needed.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Great care needs to be taken when installing bearings.  If it doesnt press easily in with finger pressure, you need to take care to press the only on the appropriate race. For a bearing in a housing, that would be the outer race.  Especially with bearings this small, its very easy to brinell the races, which is when the balls make indentations in the race from too much pressure.  That will ruin a brand new bearing.  Another consideration here is that too tight of a housing or shaft fit will affect the clearances within the bearing, and can make the bearing not spin freely.  This often results in a replacement bearing exhibiting the same problems as the old one.

steelfish

well, I tried installing a good pinion the bearing from the 25II to the 20II and still same grinding feeling on the gears, so, it wasnt a bad pinion bearing (from when I force it).

still havent switched the pinion or high speed gear from one reel to another the see if I can find which is the damaged part, I was read that many times you have to switch pinion and gear cuz if I only get one of those brand new the other might not mesh correctly, so, what do you think guys, it worth the time to find the cultprit or better just order both parts?
The Baja Guy

alantani

don't mix gears.  keep the good main and pinion apart from the bad main and pinion.  if you mix them, the bad gear could mess up the good one.  when you replace gears, you always have to replace them as a set, both main and pinion together.  never just one or the other.  learned this the hard way......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on October 02, 2017, 02:25:26 AM
don't mix gears.  keep the good main and pinion apart from the bad main and pinion.  if you mix them, the bad gear could mess up the good one.  when you replace gears, you always have to replace them as a set, both main and pinion together.  never just one or the other.  learned this the hard way......   :-\

thats what I was sure I read before (pretty sure it was from you)

thanks Alan, time to talk with the owner again.

The Baja Guy