Problems removing C-clip from cog wheel

Started by festus, September 21, 2017, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Are there any secrets or tips on removing C-Clips?  This is getting frustrating, the clip just spins whenever l try to use a small pick or tiny screwdriver.

Alto Mare

Place your index finger over it and drive it out with a dental pic.
I purchased these a year or two ago and are doing a good job, I just wish they were bend a bit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duratrax-DTXR1107-Ultimate-E-Clip-Tool-1-5mm-5mm/301303760397?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
If you use the correct size, the E- clip will get stuck on it, a good thing when trying to install it.
Best,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

I use a scratch all that has a very fine point. Fred showed it as his favorite tool.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

festus

Thanks, l finally got it off with a pick on a leatherman's tool. 

That Duratrax tool would have made it easier.

Bryan Young

I use side cutters slid g the grove of the side cutters on either side of the clip and push it out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Midway Tommy

I've got an old Case Electrician's Knife I use for the tough C clips. I just use a mini straight screw driver with a little bend in the blade for E clips, and it's magnetized so that come in handy.  :) I just put my thumb over the C clip, slip the point of that hardened knife blade in the crevice and give a twist. Comes off every time & my thumb keeps it from flyin' across the room.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tightlines667

I use a precision flathead screwdriver.  A dab of grease on the driver first, along with bring magnetized helps to keep it from flying away.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Lee - both of those tools work well for me. I bought mine off of Ebay (used). I couldn't justify the new price.

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 22, 2017, 12:52:47 PM
Lee - both of those tools work well for me. I bought mine off of Ebay (used). I couldn't justify the new price.

They are not cheep, good thing I can pop C clips off with a screwdriver and only send 10%-20% off to visit the long gone AR springs,  Trinidad drag clicker pins and missing socks.

Mark Twain

tholmes

I solve the "flying e-clip" problem by putting the part in a gallon-size clear plastic bag during removal and assembly. There are probably dozens of those little buggers scattered around my workshop from the days before I learned this trick.

Tom

Crow

I have made a few "specialty" e-clip tools out of banding material.....some of the 1/2 " wide, steel strapping works pretty well for "raw material"   I filled (it takes a good file, and a bit of time, as the steel is almost "spring quality") a slot in one end, the same width as the "groove" the clip fits into, s
"square up" the end a bit, to minimize "slipping", and push them off. I generally put one finger on top of the clip, before I push on the tool, and that traps the clip, so it doesn't "ZINGGG!". At the end of the day...it's "whatever works", and, as was already mentioned, magnetizing your tool will help ....sometimes !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

Ya'll've givin me an idear. Whatya think of grinding down a cheap pair a needle-nose pliers, so the jaws'er vertically flat and can slip under and on topa the e-clips?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!