Coming to terms with my addiction

Started by jackpine, September 22, 2017, 02:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpine

It is time to come to terms with my addiction.

I come here because I think you will understand.

I stand before all of you admitting my weakness and my inability to fight my addiction.

It started about 28 yrs. ago. I was walking through a flea market and found a reel that I could not put down. This was the start of my sickness that I still struggle with today.

I could not wait to get home a dis-assemble and clean these reels. I even started to clean a repair reels for friends, my illness was getting worse.

While spending time watching TV with the wife I would be cleaning and repairing reels.

I finally realized that I need HELP.

To my suprise there was a Fishing Reel Rehab Center in Chicago(close to where I live). I told the wife and son I would be back when I'm cured.

After a 2wk stay there and a monster of a struggle I was clean.

I could finally stay away from my work shop and spend valuable time with the family.

This went on for several months, everyone was happy.

Well I was getting the itch to go fishing. It was early Oct. and the fall Kings were in shallow. I thought, I can handle this. After about an hour of casting I got a backlash from hell.

I now knew that this was a test for my sobriety. Well,,,,, I failed, fell off the wagon hard.

I started to attend meetings at the center but it did not help.

Since those many years ago I am aware of my situation and I deal with it.

I now don't dis-assemble every reel I see or purchase. I can now clean my most used reels and leave it at that.

Thanks for listening to my struggle and thanks for this wonderful web site.

thorhammer

Bryan Young

Very nice story.   I just got back from Chicago tonight.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Bryan Young

Considering that I just picked up about 2 dozen reels that needed a little bit of help from Alan last week, I would say NO.  My wife would emphatically agree, it's NO!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Fishy247

Maybe they'll open a Bay Area chapter someday....

steelfish

so, its Chicago where the Fishing Reel Rehab Center is?

hmm can you pass me the phone number please?
nop, I dont want to sign up as member, I would like to talk with the current members to ask them to sell me their reels and rods even if those haven been fixed yet, the cheaper the better, is like help junkies to throw their drugs in the toilet and flush, all I want is to help them to recover faster.

The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

That was a hilarious read, welcome to the insanity  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Ron Jones

I can relate, I have the sickness bad. If I'm on a party boat and I see a Jigmaster it takes everything I have not to tear it apart to see if Brian's 5 stack is in it or if it even has HT-100 drags. It is hard, you get used to it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

happyhooker

I like your train of thought, steelfish.  I'm in the Lions Club & our motto is "We Serve" & I always like to help those in need.

Frank

Dominick

As you have found out there is no solution but to go with the flow.  Buy-buy-buy seek out reels.  The funkier the better.  Go for it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wfjord

My sickness has gotten much worse since discovering this website. Probably terminal.