Secure lockable reel storage?

Started by mogambosquid, September 21, 2017, 07:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogambosquid

Any ideas on a secure lockable place to store your high end reels?

I used to keep my more valuable reels in a gun safe, but quickly learned that damp spectra and nice firearms are not a good combination.

Right now they are in the garage in an old chest of drawers, my garage is pretty secure but hardly impenetrable.  I am considering getting another gun safe for reels, but quality ones don't come cheap.

What works for you?

steelfish

never though on putting my reels on a safe box or lockable HD cabinet
maybe I need some high end reels to start worry for that too ;D ;D

BTW what size and model of reels do you want to put on secure place?

The Baja Guy

mogambosquid

They are my big tuna reels- some Accurate ATDs, Okuma Makairas, Penn Internationals.  Most of the lever drags have had aftermarket work done as well.  I've slowly been collecting them over the years. 

My regular reels for local fishing aren't so 'fancy', I keep em in a milk crate  :D

foakes

I don't lock up my reels -- where we live, most everyone has a loaded weapon close by, knows how to use it competently -- and everyone around here knows that.  

So we have little or no mischief -- even from Meth-Heads.

Rem 870 WM does a good job.

Everyone knows the sound of cycling a shell into the chamber -- nothing else like it.

If I were to lock up my expensive reels like I do my weapons -- I wouldn't need a gun safe -- just a jobsite steel box sold at Home Depot.  Bolt it to the studs in your garage, fastened to the concrete under your bench with Redheads, or whatever to keep it secure.

Then I would purchase these padded, adjustable reel suitcases from a place like Cabelas or a tackle dealer.

Just dry them out by wiping or cleaning them -- then if any other moisture present, just drop a couple of those moisture squares in with each reel.  Available at Smart and Final.

Take pictures of all of your equipment and develop a spreadsheet with descriptions and any serial numbers -- for yourself, and your insurance company.

At least, these measures are what I would do.

Big, HD steel, lockable job-site boxes are typically $160 to $300 at HD, online, or other places.

The padded travel reel bags are $30 for 8 reel capacity.  

You can even install a work bench top on the surface of the box so it doesn't look inviting -- and is useful.

Best,

Fred

https://www.wayfair.com/Trinity-Job-Site-Toolbox-TXKPGR-0501-L78-K~TTY1166.html?refid=GX103069600083-TTY1166&device=t&ptid=168792967203&targetid=pla-168792967203&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6POc04a41gIVB5d-Ch24hgdcEAQYAyABEgKs9fD_BwE

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Pro-Series-Reel-Travel-Case/2317371.uts?productVariantId=4614311&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04466671&rid=20&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyq_ZxIC41gIVgYB-Ch2vVQRzEAQYAiABEgKS1fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mogambosquid

Fred,
Thank you very much for the suggestions, I think that a jobsite box secured to the floor like you describe would do the trick, and the spreadsheet is something I'm going to put together today.  The gun safe is what got me thinking about this, safety aside, I wouldn't consider storing my firearms in anything less secure because of their value, many of my rifles have been in the family for several generations and are irreplaceable.  While my reels don't have the sentimental value, they definitely weren't cheap.

My area sounds similar to yours, it is rural and most everyone, my family included, has firearms and is competent in their use.  I am an avocado grower and use a shotgun or .22 on my property almost daily for vermin control.  I'm not worried about theft while we are home, anyone on my ranch with bad intentions would find themselves looking down the business end of a 12 ga. long before they reach the house.  The only theft I have ever experienced here are people stealing avocados and that isn't too common.  However, my nearest neighbor is 3/4 mile away, so when nobody is home, a thief could go about his business without interruption.

best,
Greg

El Pescador

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bill B

All good suggestions and I would highly recommend bolting it down to the wall studs AND/OR concrete.  Having moved my 2K lb safe (yes 2k empty) , with the right equipment they are way too easy to cart out. But then again a good friend of mine (and I keep him as a GOOD FRIEND  8)) is a professional safe cracker and can get into a safe usually in less than 30 mins....unless lots of internal precautions are installed.   Pad locks may as well be left unlocked  :P..... Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

I have a drawer on my fishing cabinet on which I keep all my reels and in order to control humidity of the house, I throw inside every silica bag I found, they are really good on it.
The Baja Guy