Uses for a 111 Senator?

Started by Stevedel, September 26, 2017, 11:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevedel

Just bought one on E-bay. Gotta stop doing that. Pretty little thing, looks to be in good shape.

What would be a good use for it. Around the central San Joaquin Valley We have fairly large catfish and stripers. There is also the Delta that has both of those plus rather large sturgeon.

How does the 111 fit in to the Senator line-up. I realize that it's not high speed but I have the Jigmaster, Squidder and high speed "special" Senators.

I know that it's not easily upgraded but it looked so darned pretty.

handi2

Pretty and collectible. I paid 100 bucks for one.

Easily fishable for those fish. Plenty of torque with such a low gear.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

the old guard likes to use them for salmon trolling with 2.5 lead balls and sinker releases. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

They are perfectly useless for much of anything. I'll PM my address and you can send it on. I'll send back a boat anchor  ;D ;D ;D

They are little beasts.

John

bhale1

John,
Ha ha ha ha ha ha....I had to read your reply twice! Got me!
Brett

mo65

Quote from: Stevedel on September 26, 2017, 11:03:40 PM
I know that it's not easily upgraded but it looked so darned pretty.

With six frame posts and six screws in the stand...this dude is already upgraded. The 111 is a great reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Exactly....carbontex drags and upgrade to handle to a Penn power handle, or Alan's 3/0 grip, and you're  done....

basto

and you will end up with something like this

my favourite Penn
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

thorhammer

Exactly. I believe I was trying to remember 24-56 part number for that handle.

Tiddlerbasher

A silly bit of nonsense - but hey ;D
Some time ago whilst looking for a property to rent (for a fishing trip) in The Peak District, England - I came across this little stone cottage. At the time I didn't really think about it, but this thread jolted my memory:

https://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/Peak-District-Peak-District-Derbyshire-Dales-Belper/111-Penn-Street-3568.html

mhc

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 28, 2017, 10:37:51 AM
A silly bit of nonsense - but hey ;D

Thanks for sharing Chris, I hadn't considered a stone frame for a 111 Penn before - is that one of Sal's builds?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

Naaw the stonework ain't neat enough ;D

Stevedel

Quote from: basto on September 27, 2017, 09:32:25 PM
and you will end up with something like this

my favourite Penn

Wow, Basto, if mine turns out to look like yours, I'll put it in a display cabinet and try not to get it wet.

Ron Jones

Sacrilege!
Any reel that pretty deserves a Fenwick Feralite and a go with a not so few big kings a year. No reason to deny the thing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

basto

It has a 5 stack of carbontex in the stock steel main gear. Very smooth and should pull about 18lb.
I use a 60 or 80 lb leader with the 50 lb braid main line for reef fishing.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n