Penn 506 Freespool Shift Question

Started by Delcampo, June 12, 2011, 05:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delcampo

Hello,
I recently recently rebuilt a 506 Jigmaster with new drags, stainless steel gear sleeve/yoke and Tiburon frame and spool.  Everything works great except when I try to shift into freespool.  The lever hangs up about halfway, and with a little coaxing I can get it into freespool. I've noticed the same thing in the past with other Penn reels.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Greg

Alto Mare

Hello Greg, just for a test could you put back the original yoke and keeping everything else as you have now? Let me know if that lever shifts better.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Delcampo

Bryan Young

Try checking the yoke and the eccentric jack for any sharp edges.  Usually it's something that file could round off.  The other thing could be the spool shaft is sticking to the pinion gear.  This is the least likely but I've seen it on a few reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

There are a few possibilities, the yoke, jack, spool shaft, pinion, cluch springs and eccentric spring. Lets try one thing at a time so you can pinpoint the problem.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

sometimes the eccentric spring pokes up too high and catches on the jack.  it grinds down quick and easy. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

What are you doing answering our questions....you're on vacation! ;D ;D ;D

Bryan Young

Sal, if you haven't learned already, fishing reels brings him peace of mind.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 14, 2011, 01:48:26 AM
Sal, if you haven't learned already, fishing reels brings him peace of mind.
Good one, Bryan! ;D ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

And after reading his day 1 report of his vacation, his girls are probably shopping, so...  he's checking up on me...  ;D

Delcampo

Thank you for all the input.  I think I have some work to do.  You know for the money I spent rebuilding this old reel, I could have bought a newer model.  But I probably would have taken that one apart as well.  I can't help myself.
Greg

Alto Mare

Don't feel too bad about that reel.  You mentioned that you could have bought a newer model  for the money that you spent, don't compare that reel with the newer models ( there is none ). I'm sure that what you're dealing with on that reel is only a minor issue, hang in there!

Delcampo

The problem was the eccentric spring tang was too long, just as Alan had diagnosed.  It was interfering with the movement of the eccentric jack.  I adjusted it with my handy-dandy dental handpiece and voila the interference is gone.  I also adjusted the sharp edges on the yoke as well.  Yesterday I caught a 20 lb yellowtail with it on the Aztec out of Seaforth.  Thanks again for all the input; it was greatly appreciated.  Greg 

alantani

glad it worked.  it was either that or the yoke was hanging up on the eccentric jack.  this happens as well, but it is not as common. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!