112 H Special Senator lower gears

Started by Islandgypsy, September 30, 2017, 05:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

Does anyone know of a gear/pinion combination that can be used to lower the ratio to something like 3:1 on these? Setting a couple up with all the all the goodies for lingcod / halibut . Any advice or input appreciated!
Greg

alantani

the red side plate 3/0 senator 112h has 4:1 jigmaster gears.  the black side plate 112 has a lower gear ratio at 2.25 to 1.  they are not interchangeable. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

If you have to have a 3 to 1 ratio pick up a 99 Silver Beach. Or you can use the 99 complete right side plate assembly on a Jigmaster 500 or 501.             Rudy

Shark Hunter

The 350 Level line and the Surfmasters all have a 3:1 ratio.
Life is Good!

Islandgypsy

Thanks for input, guys. Was hoping for something like the 13-113H pinion and 5-149 main Sal and others have used on the black 113 to get to 2.5/1 but wanted Jigmaster gear larger drag with Bryans washer set. Guess Penn never made a lower ratio for the Jigmaster gear set. Thought Newell did at one time but don't think that would work in the 112H. Guess I'll just man up and put on a longer handle!
Thanks again, knew if it was possible the Ohana would have already done it....Greg

Ron Jones

The Penn 65 is the same size spool with lower gears that Brian makes a 5 stack for. You can use a Newell stand for a 112H, an aluminum spool from a new 190, a steel Penn main gear and then all the small SS stuff and upgraded crank arms. That is a lot of looking but it would make one heck of a reel for your application.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Islandgypsy

Thanks for that info,Ron. I'll head over to Scotts MysticParts and start the hunt..rounding up the parts can be half the fun. Sounds like an interesting build. Both 112H's have Tib T3 frames and all of Alan C.'s s.s. stuff. Just wish we could lower the gears . Cranking 16-22 oz. jig heads with foot long Kalin curly tails up and down in 200' deep rock piles (NW Vancouver Is.) ceases to be fun...let alone with a big ling or halibut on the end.

Last used a Avet 6/3 Raptor and the 3:1 lower gear was just right for all day use.  

Greg

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

RowdyW

If you can't find a Newell stand for the LB 65, use a LB 66 stand which is stronger & uses a rod clamp also.         Rudy

Islandgypsy

Thanks, Rowdy,                         Have a 66 parts reel I scrounged a spool from for a narrow 113 grouper special build awhile back. Glad to hear I can re-use the seat.

Greg

Ron Jones

I forgot,
The new China built 112H has a SS 66 seat that will fit the 65. I haven't fished one but it feels really beefy in the hand. Should be more than strong enough.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

All the 112h & LB 66 stands now come in SS only. Chromeing is becoming very expensive & difficult to dispose of the used chemicals besides being very toxic to the atmosphere. Even H-D motorcycles which are well known for lots of chrome are now painting a lot of their parts that used to be chromed black, (ugly).

mo65

Quote from: Islandgypsy on September 30, 2017, 07:04:28 PM
Was hoping for something like the 13-113H pinion and 5-149 main Sal and others have used on the black 113 to get to 2.5/1 but wanted Jigmaster gear larger drag with Bryans washer set. Guess Penn never made a lower ratio for the Jigmaster gear set.

I know of one lower ratio set up using the Jigmaster main gear. The 309 uses a #5-500 main and a #13-85 pinion to give you a 2.8/3:1 gear ratio. I have no clue if that pinion will work in a 112H though. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

akfish

Neither the 13-85 nor the 13-60 pinion will fit in a 112H.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

Glad you agree AKfish,
I have tried them both and would feel silly if I goofed.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Whit

How about using a 112 instead - the black one.  It has a wider spool than the 112h though, so if you wanted to use the Tiburon frames ( a worthy cause) you'd need to change out the spool too.  If you don't mind a smidge less line capacity consider using the 111 which takes the spool from the Penn 60 (or 85, or 285) and are a bit easier to find.