new here and have a couple of jigmaster 501 questions

Started by 66mstgfsbk, June 12, 2011, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66mstgfsbk

i really like my 501 and dont want to buy another yet until i find a 2 speed i like. my 501 is tired and needs help, what can i do to upgrade/bring it back to life it? i tried new drag washers and it didnt seem like it helped. im trying to get more drag and a faster ratio from it, is it better to send it out or can i install the parts myself, where can i buy parts from? i have access to a lathe and a mill at work. any help is thanked, im located in san jose, ca area.

Alto Mare

Hello, that 501 is already a nice reel on its own. Your stock gears are 4:1, how much ratio are you looking for? You can upgrade quite a bit on these reels but be prepared to dish out some dough. An accurate kit, plates , frame and gears will set you back over $300. I would keep the reel with the stock gears, maybe replace the gear sleeve with a stainless steel sleeve and a power handle, that's about it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelSpeed

Welcome!  If you want a faster gear ratio, you could install newell gears. that would give you 5:1, best you can do on that reel.  One of the shops I do work for has them in stock: Bob's Fishing Tackle in Norwalk, CA - 562-863-6833, ask for Jason...tell him Aaron sent you.  I think Baja Fish Gear in Lomita has them as well.

Also, if you want to give me a rush, you could post a picture of your 66 fastback(I am assuming based on your screen name).. This was my old girl:

Sadly, she is gone now.  :'( :'( :'(

Aaron
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Alto Mare

If you're going with the stainless steel gears as Aaron recommended , you will also need a stainless steel yoke, the stock yoke would get chewed up from the gears.

Aaron I had a 1969 Mach1, red, black and gold. My brother borrowed it one night and that was the end of it, he wrapped it around a telephone pole. I miss that car :(, I have a sports car, I always had one, but nothing comes close to that Mach1.

Bryan Young

Quote from: 66mstgfsbk on June 12, 2011, 11:21:26 PM
i really like my 501 and dont want to buy another yet until i find a 2 speed i like. my 501 is tired and needs help, what can i do to upgrade/bring it back to life it? i tried new drag washers and it didnt seem like it helped. im trying to get more drag and a faster ratio from it, is it better to send it out or can i install the parts myself, where can i buy parts from? i have access to a lathe and a mill at work. any help is thanked, im located in san jose, ca area.

Give me a call and meet me at Alan's house one afternoon.  Bring your reel and I can show you the options that are available.  I believe the 501 has a short main gear, which limits the number of drag washers you can install.  See http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1518.0.  We can upgrade the reel right then and there if you wish.  PM sent.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

66mstgfsbk

ill have to post pics soon i just got it back from paint and its fire engine red. time to start over with it again.lol floor pans here i come. thanks for all the info on the reel guys.