A few 40 + lbers

Started by STRIPER LOU, October 05, 2017, 10:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations Lou!  Sounds like the boat handling was as exciting as the fishing!

The Great Maudu

Way to go Lou! Great story. It was like being there ....

Dominick

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 16, 2017, 10:37:37 AM
Way to go Lou! Great story. It was like being there ....
Yep!  Great story telling Lou.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

nice fishes Lou, congrats

can you tell me what rod, reel, line did you used?
The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

Alex, it was Penn 4/0 YTS's w/ leadcore on 8 foot Harnells. The yts is my favorite reel for this type of fishing and the Harnells have a soft mid section which keep the plugs and bunker spoons swimming nicely!

Heading out on Wed and hopefully the weather and the fish will cooperate.

best,  ..  Lou

Benni3

Hope you get a really big one Lou  ;D

Rivverrat

I bet ocean striper are a blast to catch. Ive always thought striper this size where considered a great catch any where... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 12, 2017, 12:36:21 AM
I bet ocean striper are a blast to catch.

Same thing I was thinkin' Jeff...we catch little 5-10lb. Hybrids on the river...can't imagine lockin' horns with one that size. Congrats Lou! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on December 12, 2017, 12:50:17 AM

Same thing I was thinkin' Jeff...we catch little 5-10lb. Hybrids on the river...can't imagine lockin' horns with one that size. Congrats Lou! 8)

Mo, your right on the idea of a big fish from the ocean is a blast to catch, but depending on the tackle used getting a 6# from a river on ligth tackle is also fun.

a 30lb fish from the ocean caught on HD tackle for marlin like penn 50s, all rollers 100# rod take all the fun out too.

I had caught 4# sierra macks from the beach with a 13ft noddle rod (15lb line and 3/4oz lure) and it was as fun as it can be.
The Baja Guy

Three se7ens

Quote from: steelfish on December 12, 2017, 01:05:17 AM

Mo, your right on the idea of a big fish from the ocean is a blast to catch, but depending on the tackle used getting a 6# from a river on ligth tackle is also fun.

a 30lb fish from the ocean caught on HD tackle for marlin like penn 50s, all rollers 100# rod take all the fun out too.

I had caught 4# sierra macks from the beach with a 13ft noddle rod (15lb line and 3/4oz lure) and it was as fun as it can be.

How about a 10' tiger shark (est 350 lbs) on a plastic frame 80 size spinning reel. 4 hours of watching the reel twist and flex wondering which twist was going to be the last...  I landed it though, and it was the biggest fish Ive caught to date. 

STRIPER LOU

Wow Adam, that's a huge fish on a spinner!!!! I'm surprised it held up.

The guys that fish Stellwagen Bank take some pretty big Tuna on spinners.

You weren't in the Yak when you caught that,  ... were you?

.................Lou

broschro

Rivverrat

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 12, 2017, 12:36:21 AM
I bet ocean striper are a blast to catch.

Mo, we have Hybrids here on Missouri River. About the only fish I know of that can fight about as well as a carp. A 10 lb. Hybrid will put lighter gear to the test.... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: Three se7ens on December 12, 2017, 04:44:27 AM
Quote from: steelfish on December 12, 2017, 01:05:17 AM

How about a 10' tiger shark (est 350 lbs) on a plastic frame 80 size spinning reel. 4 hours of watching the reel twist and flex wondering which twist was going to be the last...  I landed it though, and it was the biggest fish Ive caught to date. 

Thats a decent fish any where in the universe