Daiwa Luna 253 drag washer replacement....Smooth Drag Carbon

Started by Clem, June 14, 2011, 07:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clem

Hi Guys, just new to the site...and what a great site it is!

Just so you know who I am..My name is Clem and I am a Kiwi living and working in Dubai...fishing not quite the same as home...but it is tax free!!!

I had been cleaning my Luna and broke one of the drag washers ^&%*&(^!!...so thinking I was at home I called one of the few tackle shops here in Dubai to try and find a replacement set, or better yet a set of Carbontex? I don't know how many of the members are from or live in Dubai but this seemingly easy task ended with me emailing Dawn to get a set from the U.S (4 days later it was here, thank you Dawn)

I took the opportunity to get 2 sets including the metal washers; I lay them out and realised quite quickly that the new washers offered a  lot more surface area, same OD as the stock washer but smaller ID....I haven't done the calculation but the eyeometer suggests an additional 10-15% surface area

The metal washers are pretty much the same except for the top or pressure washer - it is slightly thicker and has a large OD

The pic below showing the stock washer on top of the Smoothie..

This one below showing the stack with the stock washer..

This one with the Smoothie..

These final few with the top washer, first the stock washers..

And finally the Smoothies...

Suffice to say I was very happy....don't want to do you out of a job Dawn, but this is how they should come from the factory??..

So all greased up and ready to ...that looks better..

Anyway, just thought it maybe of interest to some...great product Dawn and yes it feels a lot better too..

I'm not sure if this level of improvement can be expected in all reels...but I suspect many reels would be similar?

Nessie Hunter

Very good info. 
I had no idea the Smoothdrag Metal Plates were larger.
I will try and get customers to switch to them... 
I dont have a Luna but they are sweeeeeet reels & I service quite a few..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

mackereljoe

Excellent post.  The factory washer looks lame and picked from cheap hardware store compared to the the smoothies.

RWS

Slowly

Have you noticed any performance improvement by adding the steel washers? they offer more contact area, so that would translate in more drag pressure, right ???

BTW great post  ;D
Pura Vida!

Bryan Young

yes, but the amount considering the increase in drag surface, it may not be significant, but the drags will be smoother, especially when heated or wet (should be greased) due to the materials used.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

clem, were you able to get in and service all of the bearings.  the pinion bearing is particularly hard to reach. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Clem

Hi Guys, it does feel smoother - actually it feels like the range has improved? just have a standard Teflon grease on them at the moment

Alan, I did - As it is summer here, the fishing has stopped - water temp the other day was 32c! ambient temp is mid high 40s I believe we touched 51 the other day..So nothing else to do but pull my gear apart..I have to buy more reels just to pull them apart..I have the Stella SW 20k sitting there......but I think I might need a week off work to tackle that one..

Alan, on another issue - I read a thread on the NZ Fishing Forum regarding a problem with a Fuji ACS reel seat that was possibly over-tightened causing the hood to pop from the thread..still usable but now the hood is floating like an alloy one..have you heard of this being an issue with graphite seats in general? The rod was a 3 Kings Special, Ultralight - I'm thinking that this is somewhat associated to our fishing gear getting smaller and stronger but in this case the seat hasn't kept pace with the reel/rod requirements..I use ALPS Trilex seats on all my gear so its not a problem..

The ACS seat in question may have been a little small considering the reel and intended use? - also the PE3 has a wide foot

Bryan Young

Quote from: Clem on July 14, 2011, 07:46:49 AMAlan, on another issue - I read a thread on the NZ Fishing Forum regarding a problem with a Fuji ACS reel seat that was possibly over-tightened causing the hood to pop from the thread..still usable but now the hood is floating like an alloy one..have you heard of this being an issue with graphite seats in general? The rod was a 3 Kings Special, Ultralight - I'm thinking that this is somewhat associated to our fishing gear getting smaller and stronger but in this case the seat hasn't kept pace with the reel/rod requirements..I use ALPS Trilex seats on all my gear so its not a problem..

The ACS seat in question may have been a little small considering the reel and intended use? - also the PE3 has a wide foot

I have seen this before, and there's no fix that I know of once it's done.  But can be prevented if you don't overtighten the reel seat.  People need to understand that graphite reel seats do not need to be wrenched or pliers tighten like the old brass and some of the old aluminum reel seats.  Just give it a little twist every now and then while fishing and you'll be fine.  The reels seats were ahead of it's time and are still good on reels today if you understand some of the little things that you should/should not do.  I have yet to have a Fuji reel seat fail on me or on any of my customer made rods.

For example, circle style hooks.  People who stared fishing with them spoke ill of this style of hooks because the would get bites and not hook up.  What they didn't know is that you have to allow the fish to hook itself and not jerk the hook out of it's mouth.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Clem

I agree bryan, although a reel foot that fit the seat perfectly would be great.