narrow 113 H spool ?

Started by Crow, October 08, 2017, 10:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Pardon a silly question, but is there a spool /post combination to narrow a 113 special ? Somewhere , maybe half way between "stock", and 349 width ?Thanks !,
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

What you want is a Yellowtail special. Penn makes a spendy one but you can get a Newell kit on the auction site that will give you exactly what you want. You can also buy a brand new kit from Tiburon depending on your financial position. There is also a few kits made by people here if they ar still available.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

STRIPER LOU

Ted, Maxed out makes a beauty of a YTS kit. Perfect fit and finished nicely. Add a Tiburon spool and your good to go. His kit is far superior to the Newell.

The other option is to purchase a Tiburon T4N topless frame and narrow spool. I'm a big fan and user of the YTS's. I do substitute a regular ratio steel gear instead of the 4:1. Guess its not a true YTS but for me it works out perfectly.

Lets us know how your project goes.

Regard's,  ..  Lou

akfish

The option i chose was a Baja Special, aka 113HN US Senator. It's a narrow 113 with more drag, much better free spool, and a faster retrieve. If you want to make a Narrow 113, great; but if you want to fish one, get a 113HN.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

I don't know about the fishing part.
I've caught a BUNCH of fish with a Yellowtail special. Yes, the 113HN has a disengaging pinion that helps free spool, but I've found that a good thumb and practice often offsets the advantage. I also know that I've never felt undergunned with my YTS.
Don't get me wrong, your reel is fantastic, and technically superior to Mr. Newell's creation, but that doesn't mean the YTS won't catch fish, lots and lots and lots of fish.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

The Tank is a YTS, you'll be hard pressed finding a reel of the same size that could compete with it... and you can take that to the bank!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

I may not have been clear: The YTS is a great reel -- but making one may cost more than buying a 113HN. Those of us on this board take pride in the reels we have worked on and upgraded. I take special pride in my upgraded Avet HX Raptor and EX30, and the bearing sleeve I added to my Accurate 50 increases free spool dramatically. But I suspect the reason the 113HN  was introduced was to compete with the YTS and, personally, I think Penn did a great job.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

That I will agree with. You can give the bay, Alan, Alan, Ted, 3Sevens et all a whole bunch of money to get an amazing reel that is way more than anything ever thought of just a few years ago, but you would have probably spent way more than a 113HN. The nice thing is that you can do the upgrades incrementally, but in the end you have to pay the piper.

Lest we forget, Tom has an upgrade for the 113HN that apparently is the bees knees.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: Ron "Jones on October 09, 2017, 02:05:01 AM
Lest we forget, Tom has an upgrade for the 113HN that apparently is the bees knees.

Ron
Yep, I agree!
Tom did a nice job on those.

The Tank has parts made from some special members here, if you wanted to you could build one for yourself that will do the same for around $230, but its getting harder and harder finding narrowed parts on line.
When that happens, the price goes up :-\. You might still get lucky though, but has to be at the right time.

If you go with a standard size spool probably around $200 or lower, but it wouldn't be a Yellowtail Special anymore.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: akfish on October 09, 2017, 12:37:34 AM
The option i chose was a Baja Special, aka 113HN US Senator. It's a narrow 113 with more drag, much better free spool, and a faster retrieve. If you want to make a Narrow 113, great; but if you want to fish one, get a 113HN.

The 113US is a different class of reel than the 113H, almost like comparing a Senator to a Internationa or a Model  T to a modern car.  I would not hesitate to target larger Pacific halibut with a 113H, and have, but I would like to have a 113HN US.

The trend today is high gear ratios and people tend to look down at "slow" 4:1 reels.  For most of our needs 3.5 to 4.5 is the highest gear ratio needed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Depends on the type of fishing you'll be doing and I agree Lee.
I want to mention that the gear ratio on the Tank is very close to the US Senator and he Baja.
The only difference, the custom Tank has more horsepower.

Sal

thorhammer

Crow, note you "asked a silly question", and we get a congealed comparison of several excellent reels, not just a part number for you. Wealth of knowledge and experience here is continually amazing.

STRIPER LOU

The great thing about the 113H for a YTS is 113H's are readily available, most of us have them, and there's a ton of stock and aftermarket parts. The other thing is, building lets us put our own spin on things and expresses your creativity. A feeling of accomplishment when something looks and works great.

Besides, IMHO custom work usually stands out above the rest. I own quite a few reels but almost always find myself reaching for my custom penns when heading out to the big pond.

Its all about having fun and catching lots of fish so any reel that gets the job done works for me! ;D

All have a great day,  ..  Lou

Rancanfish

An honorable mention would be a Pro Gear 454, or actual YTS.  You start with a great frame and side plates, 5 stack drag set up is cheap, and double dog it and add a steel gear if and when you feel the need.

Just ask Gary.  ;)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Crow

Thanks, guys !  I'll start watching for the needed "parts and pieces", although, it's really more of a "I want", rather than an "I need" LOL !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !