BX2-500 lefty

Started by albiemanmike, June 16, 2011, 07:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albiemanmike

I am going to pull the trigger on a BX2-500 lefty from Charkbait but I want someone to tell me the reels are fine and I should not have any issues with it? I have read so many bad stories about these reels but it is really the only reel that comes in a lefty that has what I need. I am using it for light tackle bluefin tuna in the northeast so I need a good left handed reel that is somewhat small but can hold a lot of line and can handle 30-40 lbs. of drag. I really like the Accurates and they look to be a very well made highly machined piece of tackle and I just don't know what could possibly be wrong with them that many guy's have had issues with them. Thanks for the attention!

SoCalAngler

Accurate's are fine reels and the BX2's have a loyal following on our left coast, long range/stand up style of fishing we do here. But 30-40lbs of drag is at the higher end of the scale we use and 30 to 50 sized reels are way more commonly used for that type of drag pressure. Also the cranking power of the 30's or 50's is a lot better to help you subdue big tuna. I know your east coast fishing style can differs greatly to ours and I have not chased giants on the right coast but to me is seems like you may be bringing a knife to a gun fight. Accurate's sizing with the BX series is more like the 400's = 40lb, 500's = 50lb and 600 = 60lb topshots. I know the reels are able to get a lot more drag pressure are often fished with heavier line than what is listed above but with the drag pressures your looking to fish my concern would be the cranking power of the reel. In my mind Accurate's are top shelf reels with some of the best machining ever put into fishing reels. Maybe you should talk to Jack or some of the Accurate guys or Mark at Charkbait and get their input.

albiemanmike

Thanks SOCA,
                     I have been emailing back and forth with Mark actually. I took a 130-140 lb. BFT on a Okuma Cedros with Avet SX reel before so going up to a BX2-500 would be a huge upgrade....... ;D I would not fish the reel above 30 lbs. of drag anyway. The guy's saying they are fishing drags that are over 30 lbs. are smokin' sumtin' funny because believe me you hook one of these beasts in the 70"+ category and you are going to get your butt handed to you in short order with heavier drag than 30 lbs. or so. I almost got yanked out of the boat several times fighting a 70" 200+ lber. 2 years ago on spinning gear with harness and that was only fishing 25-28 lbs. of drag on a spinning reel. I think I will go ahead and order the BX2-500 lefty spooled with JB Hollow 60 lb. should be able to get 500+ yds. on it no problem. Thanks for your reply!

SoCalAngler

Mike,

The way your looking to fish the reel with 60lb spectra is way more inline than the 30-40lbs of drag you listed first. The BX2-500 should be able to handle that fine and then some. May I suggest that maybe you look at going with JB 80lb instead of the 60lb. The hallow 80lb is a 16 strand spectra as opposed to the hallow 60lb 12 strand and I have found it much easier to work with than the 60lb. You will lose some overall yardage but it will not be a whole lot. The payoff of the ease of use of the 80lb may be worth the yardage lost and the extra cost. Either way you will get one great reel and good luck on the giant hunting.