Another beefed up 49

Started by Crow, October 29, 2017, 04:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Instead of cluttering up Sal's thread, I thought it best to do this in a new topic.  On my first try...I used a dremel to remove the bakelite from the inner face of the headplate...to allow room for the 349 dog and spring. That worked, but, since I have a cross-slide vise, I decided to "mill" out the plate...I had an end mill, that was "close enough", so I didn't take time to grind one ( serviceable end mills can be ground, easily, from broken twist drills), and, after making a wooden "jig" to hold the faceplate in the vise, it was a pretty straightforward task.  As long as it was mounted...I decided to mill an area for a harness lug, as well !  Actually, there should have been a small "island" left in the milled out area....to keep the dog spring from falling off it's mounting pin, but, I decided that it was easier to super glue a small chunk of bakelite into the area (it was much easier to locate the *sweet spot* that way)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

I also made a wooden jig to hold the plate secure, while I enlarged the hole for a "top hat" style spacer. After brazing shut the screw holes in the bridge ( I used 56% silver solder, but, silfloss (15%), or even phosphor bronze brazing, would work), I "located the 349 bridge by shimming all around the main gear.....actually "centering" it in it's bore, and determined how much deeper the bore needed to be to allow clearance for  the metal and CF "under gear" washers. I then made the hole deeper with a dremel.....as in my other "try", I did grind trough the cover, a bit, but I decided that "patching" the hole was worth it to gain both the under gear washers.
  Then, the shims went back in, and I used an altered pin punch as a "transfer punch" to locate the first of the new screw holes. I drilled and tapped it, then installed the bride and gear assembly---with shims---secured it with the one screw, and "transferred the other three holes.
  After drilling / tapping those, it was fairly easy to find the spot that needed to have a chunk of bakelite glued in to support the 349 dog spring. While I was "gluing", I built up the "hole" in the faceplate with an epoxy/ bakelite dust mix...later working it down to a *somewhat* neater surface. I altered the Metal ring enough to clear the built up area, and did a "test fit" of the fully assembled bridge / faceplate.  I want to install a stainless dog, and alter two of the "keyed" 49 drag washers (lots of filing in my future !) , but, for the time being, it's a brass dog, and 113H metal washers, except for the "eared" washer ...which is a 49, with the center hole enlarged.
  Since we had our "killing frost" last night...."other duties" (yard work , and flower bed clean-up !) will be my lot for a while...and the time to "use" reels, instead of "playing with them" is FAST approaching ! So, I'm pretty sure this project will go back in the box, until we get home in the spring...and the "spring yard" work is done.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

It's shaping up nicely Crow, good job!
No worries clottering any of my posts, I don't mind at all.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Cool project...great work Crow! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

Nice work, good idea shimming the gear to locate the bridge.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Crow

That seemed the best way to insure that I had the correct *mesh* on the gearing. I still may not be "exact", but, pretty close. I checked the size of the "gap"..or "void"...or whatever you want to call it....the space between the end of a pinion gear tooth, and the corresponding "valley (between the teeth on the main gear)by using a very small wire (actually it was a torch-tip cleaning wire) on a "stock" 49....and tried to duplicate that on the "hybrid".

Bill B

Cool Beans Crow.....Im really liking the addition of harness lugs....may do that to my user reel......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

It's been a rainy , cold , "blustery " day....so I did a little more to it....no pictures yet...maybe tomorrow. Yeah, the harness lugs were "just because" :D!  I think, when I'm all done, it *may* turn out to be more "349", than "49". Today's task was drilling some new holes....to install a "349" reel stand, and filing the inside rings to clear the harness lugs. Also, I had a "learning moment"...I installed a new handle - side bearing, and pinion gear (both original parts showed quite a bit of wear....and realized, as soon as my "gear mesh" got tighter..that I SHOULD have replaced them before I stated "fitting the gears" !Luckily, things aren't TOO tight, but....as they say, "I shoulda' knowed better !"
   The original 349 dog really doesn't fit the stainless 113H gear sleeve very well, either, but, hopefully, when I get the stainless dog, it will fit better...if not, ...more filing in my future !
    I spent an hour looking through all my "junk boxes" for some stainless flat strap....I just KNOW I have(or at least ,HAD some).....I want to make spacer bars, to replace the posts, at least in the front, and top, positions. I'm thinking the rear position will stay "posts" ,as I would like a leather "thumb", and will need a pivot point. Good thing I have an aluminum spool, or those harness lugs would be used for the chain hoist to LIFT the darn thing ! LOL !

Crow

I had another chance to work on the "49"......waiting for the frost to melt off things, this morning, so I could get on with the yard work. I filled the unused screw holes  (where the original 49 real stand mounted) with epoxy / bakelite dust (for the bakelite plates) and solder (for the metal rings), not so much for "looks", but to keep water / crud out, and, I thought it might be a bit stronger , with those filled, vs. left open. I used button-head screws , instead of the countersunk originals. everywhere except under the "shift handles". I did this for two reasons.....first...I have a lot more "inside rings" than I do "outside rings", and second....I think the counter sunk screws are a big part of the "split ring" thing. I realize that the plates swell, and put a lot of pressure on the rings, but, tightening a tapered screw head, into a tapered hole, has to exert a lot of force, as well .
   I still have the original 349 brass dog (that really doesn't fit the gear sleeve as well as it should) installed, as well as the frame posts, instead of the spacer bars, and used the 113H drag metals, instead of opening up some 49's, to fit the larger gear sleeve, and, I think I would like to "mag" it......just as Sal did , but, I want to haul this thing south with me, in a few weeks, and FISH it , so, there are things that will have to wait until spring !
   There is more "gear noise" than I would like......but, I guess a new pinion, against a used main gear, is probably the main cause of that. I'll see how it sounds with the spool full of line, and, if it's still "whiney", I'll explore some other options .
   So, the "marriage" consists of some 349 parts....bridge, dog, dog spring, reel stand, star wheel, "top hat",  handle ,and harness lugs, and a SS gear sleeve for a 113H.
   After some "testing" this winter, I'll go with a stainless dog (which, hopefully, will fit the cogs on the gear sleeve better!), and some "home made" spacer bars....IF, that is, the "testing" is successful ! If not, well....I sure had a good time on the journey !

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D