Benefit to jeweling or polishing internal reel parts?

Started by GlobalTJB, June 20, 2011, 06:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlobalTJB

Hi
I love tinkering with my penn reels and doing the maintenance on them myself.  On other websites ive seen others polish or jewel the main gears, and other parts on Penn reels.  The rees work as it is from my and others using them in standard form for half of a century but i was wondering, aside from aesthetics, does jeweling or polishing these parts to a mirror finish have any benefit at all to the function or lubrication of the reel?
thanks

Nessie Hunter

IMHO...  For what its worth..    ;)

A very little time & use will polish all the parts that touch perfectly.  Waste of time??
But Im a lazy so and so also....   lol
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

JGB

On star drag reels  we will clean out the bore of the pinion gear and polish off any roughness in the spool shaft that may come in contact with the pinion. This is to improve performance and reliability as the pinion floats on the spool shaft and causes some spool drag. Reels with a pinion support bearing (Saltiga is one of them) does not have this minor issue. As Nessie said the parts in contact and lubricated will lap themselves smooth as the reel breaks in.

Jim N.