9/0 Penn Senator

Started by Joey, November 04, 2017, 09:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Vintage-Penn-Senator-9-0-Big-Game-Fishing-Reel/172956316045?

Not sure if the link above will work. I'm looking for a Penn 9/0 , the reel has bent handle and pretty rough. My question is it worth what he asking for it? Will I be able to upgrade the reel drags washers Etc...

I want to use the reel for shark fishing on the Texas Beach front which requires a reel that holds a lot of line.

The guy is asking $60 plus shipping which will put it around $75

Dominick

It looks like you want to fish it so if it looks a little rough go for it.  After giving it the Tani treatment and new drags it should give you a lot of pleasure.  BTW some times those rough looking reels clean up pretty good.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

RowdyW

If you intend to update it with a Cortez frame that won't work on this early model. Early model has bushings on the ends of spool & later models have ball bearings. That reel looks like a early model because of the counter balanced handle. Probably made in the 50's.        Rudy

Joey

Great Thanks for the replies!! That the answers I was looking for the reel is too early a model for me.

handi2

I would pass on that reel and get one that uses bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Army_of_One

As was mentioned by Rudy, when getting a 9/0 look for the hex head instead of a bearing cup.  If it's hexed it won't work for some mods, so it's worth it to pay a little extra for a newer one.  $125 is about the going rate in my area.

ETA: If you get the right one, you can end up with this:

Another day in Paradise!

thorhammer

Hold out. I bought a 9/0 on a rod fir $40 a months back.

oc1

The handle is bent and is rubbing the star.  Not a difficult fix.  Looks like it was bent in a good honest battle too.  So, it has good karma, it has character, it's vintage, and it's inexpensive.  What more could you ask for?  If I wasn't in rehab I'd buy it out from under you.
-steve

Joey

Army of One SWEET REEL!!! Yup I'm holding out. I really enjoy finding one in bad shape fixing it up and making it work. My last 4/0 is limited on upgrades due to its year. So I might just purchase a new one.

I have to comment on what great group this forum has, no negative comments, everyone always offers great advice. From techniques to lubrication I have learned a great deal from this site. Thanks!!!

Shark Hunter

If you look closely at that reel for sale. I am certain that the spool is warped on the non handle side.
There is a section where the lip of the spool is recessed in the plate, but then it is even with the plate on the other.
Sure sign the spool is warped or broken.
I've bought enough Senators to know what to look for.
Life is Good!

handi2

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 05, 2017, 09:03:43 PM
If you look closely at that reel for sale. I am certain that the spool is warped on the non handle side.
There is a section where the lip of the spool is recessed in the plate, but then it is even with the plate on the other.
Sure sign the spool is warped or broken.
I've bought enough Senators to know what to look for.

Yes you have ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Joey

Good Eye Hunter! I see the gap in the spool and housing. The store near me has a new 6/0 for $129.00 and 9/0 $149.00.  So I'm pretty sure I will pick those up in the near future.

ez2cdave

I would  suggest passing on that reel and picking up a DAIWA SEALINE 900H, in good condition, off eBay . . .

You get an aluminum frame, aluminum sideplates, aluminum spool, and lots of stainless steel on the inside !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Sealine-900H-Big-Game-Fishing-Reel-Pre-owned-Free-Shipping/372116445528

Tight Lines !

RowdyW

Joey, the only problem that I see with the newer Chinese 6/0 & 9/0 reels is the graphite frames. Also the side plates screw on with 5 screws on each plate & the USA reels have 8 screws in each plate. The 5 screw & 8 screw plates will fit on aftermarket aluminum frames & are interchangable as are the internal parts.       Rudy

RowdyW

The problem that I see with the Sealine reels from Daiwa is that the parts could become obsolete at any time as a lot of them already are.. Parts for the Penn reels will be around for a long, long time.