Daiwa Strikeforce--trouble removing line guide and worm gear cover

Started by festus, November 22, 2017, 01:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I'm having trouble removing this round retainer with four tabs to access the level wind parts.  Tried prying it with screwdrivers and also pulling it off with pliers.

The schematic doesn't acknowledge this fastener so I have no idea what this part is called.

Anyone know the easiest way to get it off?

I would just leave it alone, but it looks like the level wind assembly was lubricated with grease instead of oil. 

Dominick

use something pointy and gently straighten the tabs.  Bend the tabs back after getting it off and press it back in place when you are done.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

festus

Thanks Dominick, just wanted to make sure I didn't damage it.  Figured if I happened to harm it in any way I could replace it with a c-clip.

festus

I should have taken more pictures and made a tutorial of this since it's the first Daiwa baitcaster I've ever serviced.

This reel came from a yard sale a couple months ago with a Shimano and a couple of Abu baitcasters.  It had never been spooled with line, let alone cast or fished with.  I told the seller the handle had some side to side play, don't remember what I paid for it, probably 3 or 4 bucks. A couple days later I put line on it, and cast it a few times in the front yard.  Turning the handle felt a little stiff and it didn't cast as far as I expected.

Yesterday I noticed the level wind assembly had been lubricated pretty heavily with grease instead of oil.  So I tore it apart, it looked normal, no idea of the manufacturing date, but suspect it had been setting in the weatherbeaten outdoor shed for a few years.

On reassembly, it didn't take long to find out why the handle had some play.  Apparently the factory had failed to install a bushing under the drive shaft.

festus

Anyway, after I reassembled it, this reel seems smoother and casts much better. I was getting a good 40 yards with a 3/8 oz sinker and the 14 lb mono on a 7' M Daiwa rod.

This is probably the lowest of the entry level baitcasting reels Daiwa made at the time.  Lots of plastic inside and out, but I do like the design (especially if they hadn't left out the bushing).   ::)

handi2

A bearing will easily replace the missing bushing. Measure it and let me know.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL