Trouble removing spool on 310GTI

Started by isurus, June 22, 2011, 01:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isurus

Hi all,

I just inherited a non-functional Penn 310GTI (won't go into free spool) and am in the process of trying to bring it back to life.  I started to follow the tutorial on this site to attempt to diagnose the problem, however, I am having trouble removing the spool.  I took the four side plate screws off and removed the frame, however, the spool does not seem to want to come away from the ride side assembly plate.   I've exerted a good amount of force on it, but it won't budge.  The tutorial makes it seem like it should come off easy.   

Any advice??

Thanks!

JGB

Ya the old welded on spool syndrome. Just joking around. The spool shaft is most likely corroded to the bearing which is pressed in place or the pinion is corroded to the spool shaft. This can be challenging as it would seem the removal process might break the reel even more.
Try this place some penetrating oil or TSI on the pinion/bearing/spool shaft and let it work it's way in for few hours. Disassemble the right side plate so you can get to the  pinion/bearing. You should be able to access the end of the spool shaft. Try tapping the end of the spool shaft firmly with a brass or plastic hammer. The spool will come loose or the bearing will pop out. either way you will have something you can now work with. If the bearing is stuck you can pry it loose with 2 large flat bladed screw drivers or dremel it free. Stuck pinion - gently try to pry it loose. If not you may have to replace the pinion as removing it will most likely damage it. You can also try some heat on the pinion as it will sometimes crack the rust and allow the oil to seep in and do it's work.
This type of failure comes from the the use of SS pinions and bearing races that are resistant and not rust proof. These types of SS are harder/stronger and wear better than the softer 4xx series of SS in use today new generation gearing. The softer SS has to be heat treated to harden it and it cost more $$.

Jim N.

redsetta

Jim's got it sorted - good advice all round.
It's fairly common, unfortunately - particularly when they're not US-made.
Of the penetrating oils, Kroil seems to be particularly effective (http://www.kanolabs.com/).
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

isurus

Thanks guys!  I suspected that was the problem.   I will take a shot at fixing this problem in the next few days.

alantani

the spool shaft might also be rusted to the pinion gear.  you will have to unscrew the freespool lever and then everything will come apart.  to remove the pinion gear, you may have to mangle it with channel locks, so plan on ordering a new one........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!