Penn 9/0 RED sideplates!!!

Started by broadway, June 22, 2011, 02:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Hey Crew,

As most of you who frequent this sight know that I collect vintage Penn Senators.  Well, I stumbled across a 9/0 penn 115 from the sixties that's gonna fit perfectly in the collection... it has, as the title states, red side plates.  I haven't ever seen or heard of one, but I got one!  There is no question about it, and if I can figure out how to post photos on here I'll get 'em up.  If anyone has any info on, or has ever seen or heard of one please chime in.  I haven't gone through her yet, but will let yas know when I do.  I'm under the impression that this reel was a prototype of some kind or some one screwed up some where down the line.  Whatcha think crew?
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, I was tempted but somehow figured out that you had your sights set on it, so I pulled away. I did ask the seller a few questions about it; the left plate  appeared to be from the newer model 114H , I also asked him if the right side plate was shaved for the ring to fit, but couldn't really  tell from the pix. I have never seen or heard of a red 9/0. Whether a misprint on a 6/0 or not, I think you still have something very valuable. Congratulations bud, enjoy it. I'm also interested in finding out if anyone has ever seen or heard of one.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Dom, does this help?

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,

Thanks for posting the photos!  When I crack it open later I'll take some more photos.  It can't be a newer side plated 114H on the non-nandle side because the bearing is without the O-ring (old style).  A couple of other indicators that it's a 115 are the quad lugs for the harness and the handle nut is a -116.  Let ya know more later! 
PS- glad you didn't bid against me... it was pretty pricey already  :o
Thanks
Dom

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Well, I cracked her open to find she is 100% authentic, and doubt she's ever been open... screw heads dead straight and I believe the lube (brownish) used is consistent with Penn lubrication for the time period and was only on movable parts (like Penn would do).  I have a bunch of photos, and would like to post 'em on this topic, but can't figure it out. The side plates haven't been filed down and the spool is a standard 9/0 spool.  This has got to be an extremely rare reel for no one to have heard or seen it before, especially on this site.  I looked at Orca's site, and just a couple of guys knew there were black side plated 114H's, so I couldn't imagine them knowing about this one... but I checked just in case (nothing).  I would love to know more about this reel if any one has a clue.... I believe this had to be a prototype :-\
Dom

Bryan Young

What is the gear ratio?  It may be a Penn sponsored reel given to a fisherman to fish and provide comments.  Very nice score.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

I didn't count teeth, but was the exact same size as the 9/0 main gear and pinion... I suppose it was the same.  I did take photos of the whole innards, and would love to post them if I can... hmmm?
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, you might have a higher gear ratio on that reel. When you get it back together, put a mark on the edge of the spool and on the inner ring, also mark the location of the handle. Whyle turning the handle slowly to one revolution, count how many times the spool mark goes around until it meets the ring mark. Let me know if you wanted to make an easy $100  ;D ;D ;D....I'm serious!

broadway

Sal,
     If/when I do sell it... you're definitely #1 on the list, but I'm gonna hang onto her for now (for doting purposes;)... thanks for the fair offer, though.  I will check the gear ratio this weekend after I catch some stripers  ;)   I'd love to see this be one of the only high speed 115's out there!
Thanks again,
Dom

Alto Mare

I don't blame you Dom. Even if I made you an offer you couldn't refuse, I wouldn't be able to take it from you. I think you scored big on that one and I'm happy for you. I just got back from BU orientation for my Daughter and  was thinking of stopping by and say hello, but somehow it always taks me over 10 hours to get back. I'm thinking trains or planes in the future. Take care bud.

broadway

Hey Sal,

Did ya get the PM I sent the other day?  Also, the 9/0 is NOT a high speed... it's got 2.5 to 1 gear ratio.
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Yes I did Dom, thank you! Looks like it has the stock gears......who cares! It's still unique and I'm very jealous. Later bud.

Bryan Young

I'm sure Dom would be willing to sell it for the right price.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Awesome reel.  I salivate every time I look at the pictures.  What a catch!
viurem lliures o morirem