Cutting a Star "Old school"

Started by STRIPER LOU, November 10, 2017, 05:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Yes, my experience with Chinese Taps, Dies and Drills commonly available off EBay has been disappointing, but would be "OK" for threading aluminium and brass. However, step up to threading stainless, they just aren't up to the task. You get what you pay for. The English, German, American made taps are far superior for harder metals.

Tiddlerbasher

x2 What Chris said. Over the last couple of years I have upgraded all of my metal drills, most of my taps and some of the dies to HSSCo. It's far superior to HSS let alone carbon steel. I used to try and tap holes in stainless with carbon steel taps - a complete waste of time :P

STRIPER LOU

Rudy,

Randy picked up a Tiburon SS inserted star for me. It was just as I had figured. A stepped, wafer insert. The only thing I'd do differently would be to add a straight knurl. With the knurl once the insert get pressed into place, its a done deal.

I also use a knurl on my knob shafts as an extra precaution and I haven't had one come apart yet. It'll be a while as I have a ton of work but its comin. What would you guys think of this Old School Star style with a wide top?

.....................Lou

gstours

Wide top.?  Sketch us a simple design.  Not like Mae West,  just wide enough.  Seems interesting.  Thanks 🙏🤦‍♀️

STRIPER LOU

Gary, the tiburon one is a Newell style. The one I'm planning is going to be more of a paddle/spoon shape. When the mill opens up, and I a get a bit of time, I'll try to take some pics.

Unfortunately at the moment I'm swamped.

Regard's,  ..  Lou

gstours

Thanks for the renewed interest in the paddle style stars. :)  I,m going to wait for a bit as well as I was able to find 2 for the Tanks.   I would like something like it for the 114h reel.  The paddle is more comfortable to me when your cranking and loosening the star in more heavy drag settings,  (pseudo extreme) .    I saw what you said about doubling the two stars threaded inserts into a wider alum star.   Seem very doable for my diy test alum thick star. I,m thinking the star could be possibly 5/16 to 38 inch thick possibly.  It would be offset in that the recess would put the star back to the endplate same as factory reels.  I might be able to mill this out with my crossfeed vise and end cutters?  Alum is kind.   I need to draw pictures and post the offset.   Will the 2 factory stars side by side be too thick for the gearsleeve stack?   Depends on the drag/main gear sandwich I guess?    Its goinna be a fun low cost project.        Have a great Thanksgiving too! ;)

gstours

Anyway I just like the feel of the Sal paddle star as you all can see.  ::)  "when the skipper butts in"