Cutting a Star "Old school"

Started by STRIPER LOU, November 10, 2017, 05:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

I started this project over a year ago. Things got busy and it went on the back burner. I'd really hate to tell you how many projects end up like that! (lol)

Besides, Adam F's stars are very nice and my go too whether it be my reels or a customers. He has a great selection of sizes and styles, nicely made, and affordable, plus his cutting method is more cost effective then what I can do here in the shop, and its definitely the best way to go.

Unfortunately no CNC equipment on this end and not even a DRO for the mill, so everything gets done Old School. It takes lots longer but it eventually gets done!

Popped the hole pattern in the blank and made a quickie fixture with a locating pin to index it accurately. One tab is cut straight and the other on an angle to give the Star a bit of a backward or reverse look. Also, decided to put a radius on the angled side only, ... nothing special, just different and adding a little personal touch. Its 316L stainless by the way as its one of the better for saltwater use.

Its a whisker over 3" as this was the material I had lying around. I'll tap the hole at the very end as this gives me some flexibility as to what reel It will go on when I'm ready. Most likely a 113H.

Just though I'd see what you think?

Actually, Adams wide top star was the inspiration that made me finish this up. When I saw his, I knew what my next project would be and I needed the use of the fixture. As time allows, the plan is to make a wide top at least 3" in dia. and it will be out of aluminum to keep the weight down. To address the potential of stripping out the threaded area, it will be inserted with Stainless steel.

I have no intentions of producing these, ... its just something I want to try.

OK, all, its back to work as I have to finish Mike's knob.
All have a great afternoon,  ..  Lou

gstours

Wow,  good work,  and Stainless Too?  Thats a challenge I won,t try. ;)   Sometimes I wish I had that odd ball Tap.   You did finish it nicely as now you have waited so long to get it this far!   As an estimate how much time do you have in it?   I think its priceless!!~?
   Now that there are more and more great aftermarket parts for reels I think we will see less and less do it youself projects?   And  kudos to your post for giving us inspiration and another take on back burner projects.    Thanks for sharing! :-*

Decker

Very nice, and unique looking, Lou.

Tiddlerbasher

Lou I have made a few things in my time but you always excel - just keep on doing it my friend :)

mhc

Nice work Lou, your finishing is always top class.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Maxed Out

Very nice work Lou........but I think you should change title of this thread to: "A Star is Born"..... In your case it is always applicable  ;) ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

Lou, how will the SS threaded insert be installed? Heli-coil maybe?  ???    Rudy

gstours

Ya Lou ,  :)   I,m also interested in your sst threads in an alum star?   I had thought of doing this to get the paddles on a star.    Tell us more pleeze????  ???

Three se7ens

He cut the star from 316 stainless, not aluminum.

Beautiful work, Lou.  Not that Id expect anything less from you.  I really enjoy seeing how things were done in the days before CNC controls. 

Im not aware of any practical way to use thread inserts in this thickness.  You typically need the depth to be at lease the same as the diameter.

Bryan Young

Wow Lou. That is amazing. I hope you get out of the basement to see the light of day once in a while
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Tiburon now lists aluminum stars with SS inserts for sale. So it can be done. I was asking about his next project that he said would be an aluminum star with a SS insert to save weight.

oc1

A work of art.  You have a lot of patience to cut it out of stainless Lou.  I would rather have solid stainless and accept the weight.  It will feel good, last forever and wouldn't make much difference in the overall weight of the rig.
-steve

Alto Mare

Beautiful star Lou, definitely one of the best I've seen. The polishing job is out of this world, I could see a lot of heart went into that star.
Thanks for sharing your excellent work with us and  keep on visualizing, we would love to see what else you come up with.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Thank you all for your comments and kind words.

I have dozens of projects in the works and I pick away at all of them when I can. Its a good diversion and  well needed at times to get break from the knobs.

For Rudy and Gary,  .... unfortunately no commercial HeliCoil insert that I know of is available for these somewhat odd threads and as Adam had stated, at least once the thread dia. is needed for the best holding power.
An insert is required. If you can picture a counterbored hole in the star with the larger dia. being on the backside. A wafer style, stepped, threaded insert of SS is machined to match. 4 small flat head screws will secure it and will be countersunk from the backside. Although the threaded holes will be visible from the front, they will be covered when the handle arm is installed.

It will be very strong and if necessary, I have access to a 40ton press to do some additional staking of the screws. Before assembly, a liberal coat of Bearing grade or Slip fit high strength Loctite would be applied liberally. This is some expensive and very serious stuff. Not only will this help hold, it will create a surface barrier between the two dissimilar metals.

It will be time consuming but for  a handful of pieces, its doable. The other option is as Steve mentioned, make the whole unit out of SS!

Thanks again and all have a great day,  ..  Lou

gstours

Thanks Lou ,  you are kinda thinking 🤔 along the same lines as i was ,  of mating the sat threaded inner piece to a larger and somewhat thicker aluminum star to get the paddle 🌟 star somehow.
  The alum would've been quite easy to work with in comparison with the sst.  I was thinking of using a thicker ps of plate to get the star wider paddles and tapering it in to about the factory star thickness and accept a brass thread part of a factory star.  But my tools are limited.  It never happened,  butt mating the two pieces is my question .    I could do pins into countersunk holes and peen into rivets..?   
    Butt the project is not going to get done if it doesn't get out of the design stage,
Thanks for your idea 💡 👋