Penn Squidder spool play

Started by snook101, June 22, 2011, 09:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snook101

Hello Alan, I rebuilt a squidder to the 146 size same as your now famous rebuild, all inclusive, but i didnt know about carbontex then yet so I used Teflon, I know you will beleive me when I say I just brought in a 7-1/2 foot sailfish here in South Florida with it, it is bulletproof. One issue I resolved was some rubbing of the spool on the bridge assembly or something inside, It did not rub with the old brass spool, so at the time I assumed it was the new spool and not how I re-installed the bearings or anything.  I resolved the issue at the time by putting the spool in my drill press and used a hardened chisel to turn off a few thousandths on the spot that was rubbing on the spool, problem solved, however not sure if it was exactly right to do. The spool has no play or little play as I adjust it so I can live with it.

However, I just bought another almost mint factory 146 and I am getting side to side play but no rub on anything internal or on the  factory aluminum spool.  I am looking to do the same rebuild on it, and  I was just wondering what is the proper use of shims, where do I get them and any other info you can give me would be helpful.

I am wondering if I should shim the older rbuild a little, does the shim go behind the bearing? What is it made of? I love casting and the feel of these old reels.

Bryan Young

McMaster Carr.  Look for the bearing shims that actually contact the outer bearing and not the internal race.  Just measure the ID of the bearing and match it up with the OD dimensions of the shim. I think they come in 0.001 in., 0.003 thick, and 0.005 in. thick.  And yes, the shim goes behind the bearing in the bearing cup, and come in Stainless Steel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

snook101

alantani

i am hoping that the same company that made the shimano bellevilles for me can make up some custom shim washers.  it is a project that will sit on the back burner for quite a while, though.  until then, try mcmaster.com and please let us know if you find a good one.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

snook101

Thankyou again sir! , I have not ordered any yet, but I will be.  The play in the mint 146 was the best case scenario, from sitting in somebodys sock drawer the left side bearing cap was just aparently never adjusted down and had a little set in that position, i took care to apply a little wd40 and let it sit. Today I could move it fairly easily with some pliers and gently adjusted it to minimal play in the spool.

My original re-build needs the shims though in order to move the spool out a little from the right side, is this fairly common? Is it atributable to minor manufacturing differences or something?