Couple of questions - just got 8 new accurate reels

Started by flvol77, June 22, 2011, 09:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flvol77

6 are brand new and the other two might as well be new.......

OK here is the questions

1) I have learned a lot on this site about breaking down my TLD's (15's 25's and 30's) do I really need to break down the Accurates?  If so that is cool, I have no problem tearing them apart.  2) Will it void the warranty??  I believe the drags are dry, if I grease them up does Accurate frown on that?  3) I know Accurate wants you to send your reels in every year to be serviced?  How many actually do that?

Also they just came out with a new oil port, thoughts on that?  6 of mine have it and my two BX2 -50 that i bought used (if you can call it that) don't have it and I am thinking about sending them in to have a new side plate put on with the oil port.  I saw on bloody decks where Accurate will put the new side plate on and included lube and service for $75 a reel, which didn't seem bad. 

On more question, I know on the TLD's Alan came up with a washer to eliminate some of the play in the reel, anything like that for the Accurates that I may need?

Most of my fishing will not be putting these reels to the test like the west coast guys and their 100+ tuna, I just got a deal on the reels and Silver and Blue is the color of my new custom rods so I thought I would just go with it. 

Thanks in advance.

akfish

Just a couple notes: All recent Accurates have come with greased drags. I've found them to be in great shape from the factory but it can't hurt to pop them open and put a thin layer of grease on all internal parts. If you need more free spool you can treat the spool bearings with TSI, but mine had plenty of free spool as they came from the factory. An advantage of seding them to the factory is that they will upgrade your reels for a very reasonable cost. As for the oil port, you can accomplish the same thing by servicing your reels and using a q-tip to apply Corrosion-X on the anti-reverse bearing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Jim

The two that aren't new might warrant a clean/lube session, the new ones are certainly good to go.
BUT, pull some line off to check the drag, and play with them a little to make sure everything's 100%. I had a BRAND NEW atd 50 come with a drag that jerked horribly, talked to someone at Acc, turned out some sort of 'contamination' had gotten on one of the drag washers, took them out and cleaned them, perfection. (They were really wanting for me to send it back but it was an easy fix.)

There are some very good tutorials on service over on the Accurate website. Since I gather from your post you're NOT in SoCal I'd suggest just doing yearly service yourself . . . truth is they are pretty easy to work on. But, like a Ferrari, they NEED regular service. You'll soon learn to "feel" when they need some attention, maybe more often that yearly if you fish a whole lot.

Forget the lube port, IMO it's for the bozo's who don't believe in doing regular reel service. (Yes, BOZO'S!)

As for aftermarket stuff, restrict your worries to handles. Alan has some very nice ones that grace my ATD's.

Welcome to the Accurate Hotel . . . you can check in but you can never check out!

flvol77

Thanks for the info, very helpful.  I have two weeks to go through all my new reels before I head to the keys for 10 days of fishing.

flvol77

one more question?  Should I register my reels?  i never have with my Shimano's and I own/owned higher end shimano stuff (torsas, stellas, etc)

Thanks again for the help

Jim

Quote from: flvol77 on June 26, 2011, 02:50:22 AM
one more question?  Should I register my reels?  i never have with my Shimano's and I own/owned higher end shimano stuff (torsas, stellas, etc)

Sure! If anything does happen the warranty is nice to have, and doing your own service does not void it.
No one will show up at your house . . .

flvol77

Quote from: Jim on June 26, 2011, 04:04:28 AM
Quote from: flvol77 on June 26, 2011, 02:50:22 AM

Sure! If anything does happen the warranty is nice to have, and doing your own service does not void it.
No one will show up at your house . . .

Thanks, that was my question, didn't want anyone showing up at my house LOL