Quick Easy question...

Started by Board4life, June 28, 2011, 11:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Board4life

How do you know when new drag is required? Can you see it visually or is it just when it starts sticking?

redsetta

I'm not so sure this one's quick or easy! ; )
A number of variables come into play and it depends on your starting point.
Sticky drag is a key indicator, of course, but that may just entail stripping the washers, cleaning, greasing and reassembling (rather than replacing).
While (good quality) carbonfiber washers will basically outlast us all, other materials can degenerate and create a real mess of fused washers etc, which you'll clearly see and feel when under load.
Any changes in drag pressure indicate you've got a problem (though not necessarily with the drag washers).
If you've already got carbonfiber drag, greased with Cal's or similar, then you're unlikely to need to 'replace' the drag again (unless the metal washers are corroding or you're upgrading).
Regular maintenance will keep you in touch with what going on 'under the hood'...
Hope that's of some assistance.
All the best, Justin
PS Loved that 113H JVariance conversion you did.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

ReelSpeed

My quick and easy answer is..when you don't have carbontex washers in the reel.
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

redsetta

Well said Aaron! Might just delete my attempt...  ;D ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

What reel are we talking about or is this a general question?  Some reels may appear to have sticky drags, but as redsetta, it may be another issue as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

I use two tests to see if the drag needs to be rebuilt. First, set the drag like you want to fish it and pull the line out slowly. If it is not butter smooth, you need to rebuild the drag. Second, if you can't adjust the drag slowly from  a light drag to a heavy drag -- if it is an all or nothing drag -- you need t rebuild the drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Board4life

I have a friend who has a bunch of reels he wants me to take apart and see if I can get them back together again without having extra parts when I'm done. I was just curious, if the drag was feeling good and smooth, if there was visual signs weather they needed to be replaced or not. They are older reels so I might just put in the carbon drag if not already done.

Thanks... that Jvariance conversion not only looks nice it works great. I had a chance to take it out and test it. Got me a Bluefin out of San Diego. Reel is a tank and smooth as butter.

Bryan Young

Some of the weathered drags, I soak in saltaway (or similar product) then wash with a oil cutting dish soap and let dry.  Then reinstall with drag grease.  Usually does the trick.  If not, replace carbon drag washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D