relaxing with reels

Started by grekim, November 17, 2017, 12:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

Hello to all!  This looks like a great site and thanks for allowing me to participate.  I found this site because many searches led back to here with all its great information.

This year I have become addicted to restoring older reels and then fishing them.  I started pulling apart Mitchell 302's and 402's and then putting them on my grandfather's old Browning rods.  One of the reels that I found up in his attic was the Peerless 9.  It had lots of rust corrosion, but was very rewarding to pull completely apart and clean up.  Then came the challenge of learning to cast one of these (in the surf).  The 9 led me to refurbish a 109, then a 209 and 309.  Then, I started in on the Longbeach series.  I found I really love using the Longbeach 60.  It feels powerful and just the right size, and is simpler than the Peerless series.  And I caught a very nice bluefish at the end of the season on it...a rite of passage.  So, restoring these reels has been a great way to unwind and there seems to be no end in sight for me.
Thanks,
Grekim
Educating fish on every trip

bhale1

Welcome Grekim,
Sounds like your already hooked! No turning back now😀
Brett

Keta

Hi, looks like you will fit right in here. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tiddlerbasher

Bryan Young

Welcome Grekim,

I find that I too enjoy working on reels.  It's quite relaxing to me (except working on my own reels, I just don't find any enjoyment working on my own reels) and challenging at the same time.

Just be careful with all these upgrades that these guys do...it could break the bank.  Some upgrades will be essential someday, but restoring and using what you have restored sound like pure pleasure to me.

Welcome from rainy California.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

STRIPER LOU

X2 as to what Chris said,  ...  welcome to the darkside! Your hooked now Bud, but its all good!

Enjoy,  ..  Lou

thorhammer

Another one falls down the rabbit hole....you've picked a good cross section to work on. I might suggest a Mag Ten if you've been throwing the 9. It's the same size and functional design but with aluminum spool, ball bearings and a Mag cast control. I love both in their intended application.

welcome!

John

grekim

Many thanks for the warm welcome!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

Welcome, Grekim. It's nice to see how much you enjoy working on older reels. It sounds like you might have lost your way a little bit, though, but, hey, I'm sure you'll make it back to those beautiful spinners in short order.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

grekim

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 17, 2017, 05:40:44 PM
Welcome, Grekim. It's nice to see how much you enjoy working on older reels. It sounds like you might have lost your way a little bit, though, but, hey, I'm sure you'll make it back to those beautiful spinners in short order.  ;D

LOL!  It's all good.  I think I have a slight preference for undoing a (mild) backlash as opposed to a wind knot. 

steelfish

feel sorry for you amigo, now you will have tons of sleepless nights, an empty wallet and friends in line waiting to send you their reels to fix.   ;D :P

The Baja Guy