750ss drag stack ?

Started by Chuck750ss, November 18, 2017, 12:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Have a 750ss that I purchased late last summer. Stripped it down for cleaning and lube job. Had ordered HT100 drag stack before I disassembled reel. Spool had original leather,fiber,Teflon washers. New stack from Scott has two ht100 and Teflon. What is the purpose of the Teflon? Why not use all Ht100 washers?

Shark Hunter

Bryan Young sells a drag kit will all HT-100's.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14596.0
It is discussed in the spinner section. Some even cut the carbon fiber hex shaped for more drag.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11837.45
Life is Good!

basto

Hi Daron
I can`t figure how cutting the carbon washers to hex shape will give more drag when on one side of them is a hex shaped metal.
You still only get friction on one side of the carbon washer.
Cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Shark Hunter

I guess you missed the boat on that one.
Sal and Wallace came up with this. It is a good upgrade.
You don't use hex shaped metals, just carbon fiber and round metal washers.
Life is Good!

Ruffy

Quote from: basto on November 18, 2017, 02:00:51 AM
Hi Daron
I can`t figure how cutting the carbon washers to hex shape will give more drag when on one side of them is a hex shaped metal.
You still only get friction on one side of the carbon washer.
Cheers
Basto

Hi Basto,
I believe once you do this you get rid of the metal hex washers and only run washers keyed to the shaft. Thus all metal washers remain stationary with the shaft while all fiber washers rotate with the spool. When compressed the metal washers will clamp on both side of the fiber washers. This is different to the standard setup where the fiber washer will rotate with the hex washer and thus the braking force will only be applied to the one side of the fibre washer abutting the metal washer which is keyed to the shaft. This difference in how the force is applied will give a greater output to those systems with the hex fibre washers.

I hope this makes sense!

Cheers,
Andrew

basto

Hi Daron and Ruffy
Thanks guys for putting me in the picture. I am learning all the time!
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

handi2

To answer his question the drag washer set you bought is the stock set for a 7500SS reel. Most of us do replace that teflon washer to the HT-100 washer. Penn part #6-60.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Chuck750ss

Quote from: handi2 on November 18, 2017, 04:42:36 PM
To answer his question the drag washer set you bought is the stock set for a 7500SS reel. Most of us do replace that teflon washer to the HT-100 washer. Penn part #6-60.
Thank you. That answered my question. I have some extra ht100 washers.