Questions regarding Okuma Makaira

Started by melbournefisherman, November 09, 2017, 11:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melbournefisherman

Hi all,

I am currently in Melbourne, and am considering getting an Okuma Makaira 15 for smallish (less then 100 lbs) bluefin tuna trolling. Just a couple questions which I am not certain of and prevent me from pulling the trigger, which are as follows:

1. Is the Makaira suitable for jigging knife jigs for bluefin tuna and yellowtail kingfish? And does it cast well?
2. What material is the clicker gear made of? Alan's rebuild of the Makaira 8 seems to show a plastic clicker gear, and I wouldn't like to have mine stripped by a bluefin tuna run.

I'm not able to find a Makaira in any of the stores nearby to try out, so I appreciate everyone's insight. Thanks!

Bryan Young

I think the reel is too slow for knife jigging, and don't worry about the plastic clicker gear.  It is durable and slides well with the plastic clicker.  It just isn't as loud as metal ones.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Is 33.5" per crack in high gear too slow for your needs?

For the most part knife jigs are not used here on the left coast of the US for kings/yellowtail but we do the yoyo iron for them. This is dropping down to depth and a moderate to fast retrieve. The MK 15's work well for us in that application as well as a live bait reel.

The YT locally for us are not the size of the monsters in NZ and I don't know the size you are looking to catch.

Here is a pic of some of our YT caught on the yoyo jig though not with a MK 15 reel, but the MK should handle this sized just fine.

The Makaira's cast fine and will cast better if you clean and lube spool bearings or go with the Maraira SEa line of reels.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boon

Too slow and much, much too wide for mechanical jigging.

melbournefisherman

Quote from: SoCalAngler on November 09, 2017, 06:09:58 PM
Is 33.5" per crack in high gear too slow for your needs?

The Makaira's cast fine and will cast better if you clean and lube spool bearings or go with the Maraira SEa line of reels.

I've actually never jigged for bluefin, so I am not sure whether or not this would be too slow. If you have any experience, it would be helpful.

melbournefisherman

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 09, 2017, 01:25:26 PM
I think the reel is too slow for knife jigging, and don't worry about the plastic clicker gear.  It is durable and slides well with the plastic clicker.  It just isn't as loud as metal ones.

Okay that is good to hear, although it would be nice if Okuma would have replaced the clicker gear, with all the other precautions they have taken with the reel.

melbournefisherman

Quote from: alantani on November 09, 2017, 08:07:07 PM
Good reel, too slow for jigging.

Do you have any recommendations as to a good reel for jigging and trolling, which would be suitable for schoolies? What about the Avet HX Raptors?

boon

Quote from: melbournefisherman on November 09, 2017, 08:49:05 PM
Quote from: alantani on November 09, 2017, 08:07:07 PM
Good reel, too slow for jigging.

Do you have any recommendations as to a good reel for jigging and trolling, which would be suitable for schoolies? What about the Avet HX Raptors?

Avet HXJ Raptor, Shimano Talica 20 or even Talica 12, Maxel Transformer F70C

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

shimano, make good reels, they say life time garuntee, but hard to get parts for them after 6 or 8 years. good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat