Can anyone tell me about Canyon reels?

Started by thorhammer, November 21, 2017, 11:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I expect to hear a  John Baker story but let me know the deal. I see one for sale.

philaroman

is the sale 90% OFF ?

according to AH, it's a grossly dishonest Company that QUADRUPLES the price of re-branded Chinese reels
:o :( :'(

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/cny65.html

STRIPER LOU

John, several years ago I carried a reel from a company called Gomexus. Richard and I were working together at the time and I believe according to his research, they seemed to be the same as Canyon?

Chinese, I'm thinking, but I cant verify that as all the reels had no markings and the paperwork was printed in the USA. We made a deal with the distributor and purchased a bunch of them and they all went.

Most of the guys that bought them, used them for fluking and the such. Everybody like them and I even threw one in the cabinet for myself. I never used it. The price was crazy good and the local guys wanted more.

It was a year or so later, I tried to strike the same deal with the same distributor but they couldn't even come close to the same price.
If you want a pic, I'll dig it out and post it here.

Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

FatTuna

I rebuilt one a little while back. Wasn't too impressed. Was basically an Avet knockoff.

STRIPER LOU

Interesting Keith, and those are a bit more modern than what we had. The kicker was the price was less than 1/2 of that.

Not saying they were perfect by any means but for that price it was a give a way. As far as I know, all the guys are still using them and I never even had one back for service.

Maybe it was a promotional deal or they were trying to get some product out into the market?

We were never able to duplicate the pricing. The more we thought about it we wondered about getting parts if needed. (ha!) But then at that price, if you get a 2 or 3 seasons out of it,  ...  what's the big deal?

OK, all have a great evening,  ..  Lou

thorhammer

Thanks all.  A buddy asked about in used fir $200 holding 600yds 20lb. I️ suspected it may be difficult to get parts down the road so my recap was but Avet LX for that money.  That appears to be validated by the Ohana. I️ use gomexus knobs too. And what's this crazy crap that pops I'm when I️ type "I️". 

gstours

I dont know anyhing about Canyon reells.   Butt if this company is re-marketing reel from GOMEXAS......   This reel i have had some experience with....   I bought one 16-18 size two speed at a fair price......  the gear ratio was miss stated.   I liked the reel overall butt when I went to ask questions from the so called manufacturer,  They were very vague,   and questioned my way of measuring GEAR RATIO....
   Overall the Gomexis reel is a clone of others..... Eventually they might join the 2 speed and other Jigging market as a good reel?   They are making these reels and marketing them to see if the interest it there to make more and improve them..... Or sell the company and their lines to another investor?      Overall the reel was pretty good for the early produced price.   Much like Omotos were...   We need to sit back and watch this companys development........They are capable of the machine work......   Butt also like     Okuma they could improve a few little things and gain a whole lot of sales.    Like Okuma with some  stateside support.......   Lets see???

Shark Hunter

Back away John.
These reels have no credibility in my honest opinion.
They are a lot like Okiaya.
They make Junk and want Cred. Uh, No!
Garbage in, Garbage out.
Life is Good!

54bullseye

I bought a Canyon EX-130 off a guy who was selling his boat and all his tackle and he was looking for a quick sale so I bought it cheap. I started looking it over and was not impressed by some of it's features !  The big downfall for me was reel seat. It reminded me of the Pro Gear Oceanus 30 as it has four whimpy machine screws threaded into frame with four I will call them spacer washers to keep the whimpy light duty reel seat above frame !!! I know the Pro Gear Oceanus had issues with that set up now hook yourself up to an 800 or 900 lb Giant Bluefin Tuna and I can only imagine what's gonna give !! They look nice but it seems it is way under built but I have never used it so I am just going by what I see. Match it up next to a Penn International 130-ST and there is no comparison !!   John Taylor

thorhammer

SoCalAngler

Canyon Reels have been talked about before on this forum.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16536.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6463.0

If you want to a search on this site and there is more info....but I'm sure you get the idea with these two threads.

foakes

My personal opinion about Canyon reels is probably a cautious OK (not much difference between Canyon and 50 or 60 other Asian reel makers).

However, I personally draw the line at deceit and deliberate lies -- no matter how good the product is.

When the owner of the company was caught in deliberate mistruths -- he denied everything in the face of very convincing and accurate evidence to the contrary.

We have too much of this type of borderline truth or false in even the most seemingly legitimate companies nowadays (most advertising and claims are written by the legal departments along with the sales marketing departments)...

Just cut out the lies and the hype -- and I am good with that.

JMO...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

There is no free lunch.

Between Abu, Daiwa, Okuma, Shimano, Accurate, Avet and Penn who are competing tooth and nail against each other you are not going to find a better value, in the final analysis, of reliability, parts and service over the years.

We can argue ad nauseum who makes the better reel among them, but if you have never heard of some company re-branding some OEM junk from China it is not going to be a better use of your time and money. Ever.

The Chinese are not giving quality reels away, they have cut corners in the quality of stainless, bearings, anodizing etc etc. and if you think they are gonna have parts available for 40 years like Penn I have a bridge to sell you.

There is no free lunch.

There is no free lunch.

There is no free lunch.

akfish

As I used to say in my former life as an economics professor: Price = Value.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska