Possible to change the ratio of a spinning reel?

Started by hafnor, June 24, 2011, 05:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

I have a daiwa dogfight 6500 that I LOVE but, the ratio is pretty high 6.2:1. I would like the ratio to be around 4:1 I know the reel pretty much has the same guts as the saltiga reels. Any input?

Alto Mare

I can't find the schematic for both reels that you mentioned. I personally wouldn't mess with it, that reel is over a $1000, when you get tired using it you might have a tough time selling it. Get youself another reel with a slower gear ratio and hold on to that one. Just my opinion!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

hafnor

Yeah, thanks for the replie Alto mare. It would have been cool though. The only dogfight in the world with a low ratio. PM me if you are interested in the reel.

Alto Mare

Thanks for the offer...too rich for my blood. :-\

Did you check this out?
New Accurate TwinSpin SR-50 Spinning Reel
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

hafnor

Yeah I have checked out the twinspins. They are not that hot from what i've heard from jigging forums. It is pretty much a twinspin 30 with a xxxl spool. I am actually fishing a bit over my capacity with these reels. a stella 10000 would suffice but I am an addict ::)

Alto Mare

Well, I'm a Penn guy that only uses Penn reels and been using them for over 30 years. To tell you the truth, none of those expensive reels impress me very much. I would really love to have someone next to me on a boat with all of that fancy  gear and me with the cheap older models Penn spinning reels just to see how much more fish they catch, using the same bait :-\

hafnor

Yeah, I wish Icould just let go of my teriible addiction but i can't. I could do with gear for 200usd but I keep choosing the most expensive I can find. I really don't know if it is the hype.... but still.... I am an addict. This stuff is like drugs.... I guess it does matter for the guys that fish tuna down in cape cod. I mean these guys fish with 30 pounds drag pluss+++

Alto Mare

I understand your addiction, I definitely have more reels than my wife has shoes ;D ;D ;D. She actually said ... it's me or the reels.

wallacewt

i can help you out here sal,sell the shoes,gitcha self nuffer reel bro.

Irish Jigger

You are a perfectionist Hafnor, I know the feeling. Moved up from Penns to Shimanos,lighter and quicker. Really enjoy my fishing more now. Down side is more maintenance but who cares?  I always carry an "old faithful" Penn as a backup, having had an anti reverse roller bearing fail on my TN16.

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on June 27, 2011, 07:59:58 AM
i can help you out here sal,sell the shoes,gitcha self nuffer reel bro.
I thought about it Wallie, but decided not to push my luck. ;D

Quote from: Irish Jigger on June 27, 2011, 09:18:15 AM
You are a perfectionist Hafnor, I know the feeling. Moved up from Penns to Shimanos,lighter and quicker. Really enjoy my fishing more now. Down side is more maintenance but who cares?  I always carry an "old faithful" Penn as a backup, having had an anti reverse roller bearing fail on my TN16.
Glad to hear you have a Penn for backup Irish Jigger, I'm sure you'll get to use it  ;D

Irish Jigger

Glad to hear you have a Penn for backup Irish Jigger, I'm sure you'll get to use it  ;D
[/quote]

Would never go fishing without it Alto Mare. Great insurance with "peace of mind"!

hafnor

Finally found schematics for both reels. think it is possible to change the high ratio? if so, what is to change?

saltiga Dogfight

daiwa saltiga