330n question

Started by Chuck750ss, November 27, 2017, 02:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Would 20-25$ shipped be a pretty good price for one of these reels? One that is in good working order, emblem and fish still in good shape. Just normal scuffs and scratches. Been watching a few on fleabay and the ones in the 30-40$ range don't seem to be selling right now.
And size wise, how would this reel compare to the Penn single zero ss series?
Been reading all I can find on these DAM reels. Thinking about starting a "gathering "(I don't really collect, just seem to gather stuff. And I like old fishing reels)
Old and robust. Kinda like me.
BTW, almost no chance of finding one local at garage sale etc where I live.

Midway Tommy

That's not a bad price based on the info you gave. A 330N is a light/medium sized freshwater reel, probably in the 450SS range. I doubt you will find one much cheaper since it cost about $9.00 to ship one. If you're patient, though, you can find one NIB in the $40-$50 range. It all depends on what your expectations and budget are.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 27, 2017, 02:33:05 AM
That's not a bad price based on the info you gave. A 330N is a light/medium sized freshwater reel, probably in the 450SS range. I doubt you will find one much cheaper since it cost about $9.00 to ship one. If you're patient, though, you can find one NIB in the $40-$50 range. It all depends on what your expectations and budget are.
Not looking for any newbies at this point. Just want to get my hands on one and see if I will like it as much as I think I will. If not I can put it back up on eBay and probably get my money back.
Thanks for replying.

foakes

While the 330N is a very good reel, Chuck --

The 330 is much stronger and tougher.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: foakes on November 27, 2017, 04:15:09 AM
While the 330N is a very good reel, Chuck --

The 330 is much stronger and tougher.

Best,

Fred
Thanks. Another case of the "new" model not as well built as the old?

festus

Some good alternatives to the 330N that are the same size are the  older Finessa 280 and 285.  There are over a dozen of those on ebay right now from 15 to 30 bucks.

I have this Finessa 285 made in 1964.  Lucked out and got it for 8 bucks at a fishing flea market.  All it needed was one washer to get it back to normal. 

Decker

I just picked up a 330 on Goodwill. Seems close to my Spinfisher 550SS, but slower.   Is there a thread on the site that gives specs of different DAM Quick spinners?   

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Chuck750ss on November 27, 2017, 12:03:28 PM

Thanks. Another case of the "new" model not as well built as the old?

There are no perfectly designed reels, depending on ones expectations, although a few come close. They all have pluses & minuses. The early Finessas, 330s and 330Ns will all last a lifetime if they're cared for, maintained and treated with respect. They'll all also catch fish if the bait's put in the proper location.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Chuck750ss

Quote from: festus on November 27, 2017, 06:36:20 PM
Some good alternatives to the 330N that are the same size are the  older Finessa 280 and 285.  There are over a dozen of those on ebay right now from 15 to 30 bucks.

I have this Finessa 285 made in 1964.  Lucked out and got it for 8 bucks at a fishing flea market.  All it needed was one washer to get it back to normal. 
Looking at one. If it is a Finessa will it be a 280 or 285? Or do I need to ask seller to state the exact model he is selling? Not hung up on the 330. Really just want a dam reel so  I can evaluate one personally.

festus

The 280 is the older model, not much different than the 285 other than cosmetically. The 280 has smooth black paint while the 285 has crinkle black paint. There may be some difference in handle knobs.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: festus on November 28, 2017, 04:07:50 PM
The 280 is the older model, not much different than the 285 other than cosmetically. The 280 has smooth black paint while the 285 has crinkle black paint. There may be some difference in handle knobs.
Thanks again. BTW, there is a group of 5  dam spinners for repair on eBay right now . Thought you might be interested. If I knew more about them I would look at them. But I don't.

festus

I saw those, if four of those reels weren't the same size I'd be interested. That little 110 caught my eye so I'm still watching.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on November 28, 2017, 07:23:59 PM
I saw those, if four of those reels weren't the same size I'd be interested. That little 110 caught my eye "so I'm still watching."

You and, right now, 12 others.  ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

festus

To anyone interested, there are four 331 high speed reels for sale in Bucharest, Romania.  ::)

Chuck750ss

Got a 330 for 22.50 shipped. Wait and see now. Don't think I hurt myself. Does seem to be more demand for the 330 than the 330n.