Another Dam question......

Started by Chuck750ss, November 30, 2017, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Pun intended! But that may be what you guys are saying to yourself. ;)
If a 330 is roughly the same size reel as a 450ss, what would the 440 and 550 compare to?

Midway Tommy

Direct comparison is a little difficult since the 0SS series' are skirted spools and the Dams are non-skirted. Weight wise the 440 probably falls between the 450SS & 550SS and the 550 falls between 550SS & 650SS. The biggest Dam, the 270 Super, @ 21oz is pretty close weight wise to 650SS. The 330 weight falls between the 440SS & 450SS.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

I really couldn't compare a 650 to a 270 super.
When you pick up a tuned 650, it sounds and feels like a well oiled machine in your hands.
The 270 feels like a Panzer Tank. Loud, Proud and up to the task.
I love them both, but there are definitely differences in design.
Life is Good!

Chuck750ss

I am trying to determine (without buying first) if any of the Dam reels are enough reel for cat fishing. And I consider the 650ss as a minimum size reel for the catfishing we do. You can get by with smaller, but don't be surprised when you wreck your reel.

mo65

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 01, 2017, 07:11:36 AM
When you pick up a tuned 650, it sounds and feels like a well oiled machine in your hands.

This is an excellent description of the two reels. The 270 Super makes a great catfishing reel...especially with the Motive Fab drag upgrade. Research spools before buying though, the better spools have a 3-stack while the cheesy one like I have only has a single washer. The 270 definitely wins the award for "most under-developed drag in a powerhouse reel". 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

I totally agree, I was just going by weight. All have sufficient line capacity, and actually more than is really needed. 25 to 35 years of technology and engineering can make a huge difference in balance and function. For some reason unbeknownst to me most all of those older Dam reels feel awkward or clumsy when I stick them on a rod. I've never been able to figure out why they feel that way but it must have something to do with balance or just my perception. They're a DAM  ;D well built reel that will last a lifetime, though, that's for sure. Unless you're strictly going after 100# blues or flatties  I would think all 3, the 440, 550 & Super, would stand up to most kitties.    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 01, 2017, 06:20:11 PM
For some reason unbeknownst to me most all of those older Dam reels feel awkward or clumsy when I stick them on a rod. I've never been able to figure out why they feel that way but it must have something to do with balance or just my perception.    

I think the larger models feel kind of awkward...but I love the smaller ones.
I've been fishing a 221 for bass(freshwater) and it's hard to top. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

650ss sewing machine and 270 Panzer.
Get my Drift. ;)
If I had to choose one for Catfishing. Definitely the 270.
Tommy is right. The 270 is Big and Clunky and Terribly balanced, but when you Crank this monster, You'll know what I mean.
All Business!
Life is Good!

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 01, 2017, 06:20:11 PM

I totally agree, I was just going by weight. All have sufficient line capacity, and actually more than is really needed. 25 to 35 years of technology and engineering can make a huge difference in balance and function. For some reason unbeknownst to me most all of those older Dam reels feel awkward or clumsy when I stick them on a rod. I've never been able to figure out why they feel that way but it must have something to do with balance or just my perception. They're a DAM  ;D well built reel that will last a lifetime, though, that's for sure. Unless you're strictly going after 100# blues or flatties  I would think all 3, the 440, 550 & Super, would stand up to most kitties.    
Mostly blues. 5-20 or so pounds with the occasional 30+ pounder. Usually caught in pretty strong current.

Swami805

Waiting for my 2 speed super to get back from Fred working his magic on it. Built a one pice 13' rod for it to fish 50-60lb on. Want to try it on some big bat rays in the surf. That low gear ought to come in handy. Figure I'll have a few bat rays or a big bill from the cyropractor. Maybe both. Balance should be a big factor on that rig might even balance pretty good on it. Either way should be interesting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

I've been pounding the pavement for one of those 2 speeds.
No luck yet.
Life is Good!

foakes

It is almost done, Sheridan --

Replaced quite a few parts with NOS, needed to manufacture one tiny part -- lot of cleaning, burnishing, and polishing -- probably have 10 hours into it now, another 6 to go.

It is a labor of love to work on a reel as tough and rare as this -- it will be better than new.

You will be hopefully pleasantly surprised.

Am taking pics as I go.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

Looking forward to seeing your pictures Fred!

Steve

Shark Hunter

Dang!
Sheridan,
You should be honored the Dam Master is fixing that reel for you.
16 hour build!
Holy Cow! :o
Life is Good!

Swami805

Wow Fred. Thanks for taking the time to see this thru.  Glad I sent it to the master. Interested in how Adams drag set will work in it. Ought to be an absolute beast.
Summer crowds have thinned at the local pier and the water has cooled enough for the 7 gill sharks to show up. . Thanks for taking the time Fred   Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are