Straights Halibut

Started by seaeagle2, June 26, 2011, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

This is my first Halibut on my boat with my gear.  Three years ago, I got one on my buddy's boat using his gear. Two years ago I got one on his boat using my gear.  Last year, my boat my gear no joy.  This year my boat, my gear, 52 lbs.  I've been using 320 gti's but I'm going to try a 113H next year on one rod.

"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

alantani

nice fish!  you know, a 320 gt2 has virtually the same drag stack as the 113h......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seaeagle2

I was told that the 320's gears aren't as big, and the big handle is hard on the internals.....
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

alantani

what causes damage is a sticky drag.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

These reels share the same drag stack but the 113H is sturdier than the 320, also it doesn't attract as much corrosion. I'm not a fan of graphite frames and plates, but if you keep after it with routine maintenance, you should be OK.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I highly recommend packing the bearings with grease and coat the shaft and pinion gear with corrosionX.  I've seen my share of pinion gears frozed to the spool shaft and bearings that are now bushings.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Steve-O

Nice Hali!!!  I'm guessing the Juan de Fuca Staights? Good looking rig too!
Steve-O

seaeagle2

Yup, Eastern Bank, I saw your post in the rods section, nice and your alaska trip post