Tutorial for Penn 350 leveline

Started by Noviceman, December 01, 2017, 06:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noviceman

Hi...just acquired one of these and looking for a tutorial before I start taking it apart....Tried a search but didnt come up with anything?  Thanks

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Noviceman

Carl L

Okay, another auction treasure. Probably should have bought a nicer one, but wanted to see how nice I could make a grungy one!  The operation is flawless now, and a little tip; these cheap chinese cigarrette lighters have the perfect diameter springs under the flint that fit the various cogs inside the leveline 350.

Carl L

And, the before and after pics..

Keta

The 350 is an interesting reel, I've worked on 2 or 3.  They are easy to work on and are basic Penn with the "odd" level wind.  

I have "owned" a well used 350 for 2 years and should have my hands on it today, the previous owner lives in a place I rarely get to and he hasn't been to KF for several years. I "traded" a 349 drag upgrade for it, but he was planning on giving it to me and I was planning on giving him the drag parts when I heard he was wanting to fish his low speed 349.  I have a used but good 349 bearing set for him this year.

Parts for the 350 are not as uncommon as some other older Penn reels so a restore on mine is being considered, either way is will be used to keep dust off my shelf and not fished.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Most of the parts on a 350 Levelline are standard Penn parts — no surprises.

Exceptions would be, of course — the spool, rings, plates, levelline mechanism parts, and the spiral bar.

I do have all of the oddball parts, except one tiny gear arbor, that never wears out anyway.

It is an engineering marvel how robust and strong this LL system is — no shortcuts or weak areas.

The LL mechanism is not an add on — rather, the rest of the reel is designed and integrated around this tough functioning system.  Typical of Penn.

And it sounds cool when it is retrieving line.

Most folks who have one of these, do not fish them, just keep for a conversation piece.

I would suggest that anyone who has one of these 350's — owes it to themselves to use it for a couple of times before they banish it to the bragging shelf forever.

And, look at an owners manual explanation from Penn, as to how it is designed to work before you use it.

Most folks are just unfamiliar with this unique reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Hey fellas, the 350 uses a common #29L-200 spool. It is even still available at Scott's. The old chrome spools are usually not very pricey on the fleabay. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Good idea for me Fred. I serviced one that I's plannin on sellin. I was impressed with the overall solid, heavy feel of it and usual Penn-deceptively simple yet overbuilt engineering. Believing what I've read here about levelwind problems(no bonafide experience yet), I was wondering about that unique function on this one. It's in great overall shape as though it wasn't used too much, but yeah, I'mna haveta line it up and see what it's like to reel in and only haveta focus on my terminal tackle, and not line/spool management too, providing it is indeed a "level"-winder. Don't know of any levelwind mechanism as heavy-duty lookin as this one.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on February 24, 2018, 05:32:10 PM
I'mna haveta line it up and see what it's like to reel in and only haveta focus on my terminal tackle, and not line/spool management too, providing it is indeed a "level"-winder. Don't know of any levelwind mechanism as heavy-duty lookin as this one.
Gfish

It's definitely a "level"-winder Gfish...I spooled mine up and she tracked that line on like a champ! My only concern would be that since the line is draped over the spiral bar it has the pressure of a big fish on it...not like the other levelwind reels that use a guide and the line pressure is on the spool. I'd have to think that all that was tested many years ago though, and it is prolly designed to handle a good load. I can't say that I've ever heard of any trouble with it...but then again...I don't know anyone who has fished the thing.8)

Gfish

I think they have the stainless spools, Mo. At least that's what my mid-80's "89-B" manual's sayin. I recall ona thread here, someone talkin 'bout stainless not as sturdy. Maybe not all models have have that one. Mine's lookin diffrent than any other Penn spool I have(manual came with a 114HL, ll, not this 350).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Here is a little more, Greg & Mike —

From an old 37A catalog.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Apparently mine has the black "reinforced plastic" spool. Hardest plastic I ever seen. 

Found this youtube video of a 350 used shark fishing.   

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on February 24, 2018, 07:24:03 PM
I think they have the stainless spools, Mo. At least that's what my mid-80's "89-B" manual's sayin. I recall ona thread here, someone talkin 'bout stainless not as sturdy. Maybe not all models have have that one. Mine's lookin diffrent than any other Penn spool I have(manual came with a 114HL, ll, not this 350).

I've never seen one with a stainless spool...only the chrome spool like on yours Greg. I think if I was gonna fish the reel I'd get one of those aluminum 29L-200 spools. For the shelf, a mottled brown/black Beachmaster 155 spool would be awesome.

Just noticed on the vid that Festus posted...the dude has a Garcia Mitchel handle assembly on his 350...sweet! 8)

Gfish

Ok. So the one I got is chromed brass. Hard for me ta tell, esp. with no loss a the plating.
Gfish