Stuck Level Wind Pawl

Started by ijlal, December 01, 2017, 07:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

I am trying to service a customer's Okuma Convector CV45L's level wind but the pawl won't come out of its housing... Any ideas?

A little tapping with a screwdriver is usually enough. I tried heating the housing with a cigarette lighter, but to no avail.

I live 'fishing'!

Dominick

The sleeve looks bent.  Maybe someone else knows the answer. Usually there is a screw to disengage the pawl???   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Drill a tiny 3/64" hole about 1/16" deep into the exposed part of the pawl -- then just use a pick to extract it.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ijlal

Thanks Fred, Dominick!

I heated the housing again, took the c-lock off, allowed the worm shaft to screw out as much as possible, and the pawl slid out just enough to be held by a pliers and be pulled out! ;D

Sometimes, I find myself too hasty in asking for help, but I guess it is because I know this forum is one place where help is never far away!

Cheers!
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

Dominick

Ijlal, check your emails.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ijlal

I live 'fishing'!