Downgraded Saltist Bg 35

Started by eguinn, December 04, 2017, 06:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eguinn

Hi Guy's, well I went & did it again, probably ruined a perfectly good reel by doing what I did, oh well. What I have done is to take out the 6.4-1 gear set because it didn't have the heavy torque that it's younger brother the 30t Super Torque had. It was actually a very simple straight forward swapping out of a few parts that are still available from Daiwa & they aren't that expensive. Here's the parts that you will need if you ever decide to do this conversion;  you will need a Saltist 30t  Super Torque spool to replace the existing spool in the reel, the hub that allows the pinon gear to drive the spool is different on the Bg 35, as well the bearing has cross pin which holds the bearing in place & drives the pinon gear as well. The Super Torque spool has a different hub  where the pinon gear drives the spool. With out replacing the spool shaft this is the only way to do this conversion. You will also need the main & pinon gear set from the Saltist 30t because you are going to swap those gears right into the reel just like they where the stock gears that came in the reel. You are changing the gear ratio back to a 4.9-1 ratio which is what give the Super Torque reels their name. Last thing I did was ordered a set of ceramic spool bearings for this reel & put them in, much better free spool now, & a hell of a lot more torque now. I always did hate the 6-1 gear ratio just for that reason alone, now you can turn the damn handle if you have a 34lb Yellow on the other end of your line, or has you deep in the kelp half buried. At any rate what I have is a Saltist Bg 35, with a 4.9-1 gear ratio, another thing I kinda like about is the reel doesn't look any different than a stock reel because everything was done using parts right from the factory except the bearings. I jokingly say I downgraded the reel, but I really do believe that this is the best up grade you could do to the reel. Ed