If 6 was 9

Started by Decker, November 30, 2017, 10:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on November 30, 2017, 09:42:03 PM

So, the box arrived, but it's waitin for you? Or, did it not arrive yet?, 'cause I mighta tossed the reciept with the shipping # on it.

No, no... I told you I would send you something, but I didn't send it yet.

Quote from: Gfish on November 30, 2017, 09:42:03 PM

Yeah, and now ta figure out the orgin of the posts, 99's?

Scott's shows 37-65 as the post for 99 and 66.  I think the 37-160 (for 145, 150, etc.) might also fit.

Hey Ted, I think I have a name for your reel:  "If 6 Was 9"   :D  

Gfish

Oh yeah, I forgot. Cool!

Just occurred to me, gotta mark those two go-nowhere-screwheads or fer sher, I'mna forget and start unscrewin 'em, busting out the glue, next time I split 'er open.
Gfish

Man whata downer ending that movie had, huh?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

That was a bummer at the end but it made a point that's still relevant today.
My Mom made a needle point pillow with a picture of Peter Fondas chopper on it for me. Not something you see everyday like "home sweet home".
That's quite the reel you've built, great job. Need a couple fish pictures to go with it now.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Yes it is a 99 seat I used, but the holes don't quite jive. If anyone is interested in how I did it I can post a couple pics later this week

P.S. I love Jimmy Hendrix ...Humble and Very talented ....He was left handed and played a right handed guitar upside down, cause that's how he taught himself

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 03, 2017, 11:33:27 PM
 P.S. I love Jimmy Hendrix ...Humble and Very talented ....He was left handed and played a right handed guitar upside down, cause that's how he taught himself

-Ted
I'm also a Hendrix fan. I believe he actually re-strung his right-handed guitar with a left-handed orientation so he could play left-handed, but it was a right-handed guitar as Ted said. There are also reports that he first learned the guitar right-handed as required by his father. Somewhere along the line he switched to left-handed guitars and playing. It's all documented here
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Decker

I think I got a bit carried away in my postings....   Daron's latest Everol sparked something ::)  

The whole franken-reel thing has captured my imagination.  Designing one provides a right-brain/left-brain exercise.  Although the choices are somewhat limited, it is fun to (re)discover new ways of putting reels together.  I've taken a liking to the mid-size reels, including the Squidder 145, Jigmaster 99, Surfmaster 150, Silver Beach 99.  One of the first things I learned was that several of these share the 30-66 base plate, and I like the irony of building a 99 Jigmaster with a 66 base plate.  The newer 66 bases come in stainless steel, which is a plus too.  

The tech guy in me wants to put together a franken-reel app that gives cross-references parts to different reel configurations.  Scott's site already does that with individual parts, and I have been using that constantly to learn about all of the interchangeability of Penn parts.   I'm thinking of going to the next step... making the franken-reel knowledge base from this site available to members interested in building their own unique reels from stock parts.  

Ted, thanks for sharing the depth of your knowledge and experience.  I'd really like to know more about how you put that reel together; probably it deserves its own thread (maybe there already is one?),  but whatever you are comfortable with... Thanks.

Decker

Quote from: sdlehr on December 04, 2017, 01:45:53 PMI'm also a Hendrix fan. I believe he actually re-strung his right-handed guitar with a left-handed orientation so he could play left-handed, but it was a right-handed guitar as Ted said. There are also reports that he first learned the guitar right-handed as required by his father. Somewhere along the line he switched to left-handed guitars and playing. It's all documented here

Interesting... I'm a lefty who plays guitar right-handed, which works out fine,  but I feel limited in certain ways.  I can never get any good at finger-picking, for example.  I work in IT but majored in art, and have always been on the fence in the right/left brain orientation, but definitely lean right.

Swami805

Ringo Starr also grew up poor and learned drums banging on a cookie tin in a sanitarium when he was a kid with TB or something. His first drum kit was right handed that he played lefty. He had a unique sound many drummers tried to copy early on.
Hendrix had a unique style that many tryed to emulate but truely one of a kind. No telling what he would have accomplished if he had lived
Sorry for the tread jack

Decker

Yes, this is a thread-jack -- par for the course at AT.com.  ::) If no one objects, I will split this off to a new thread where we started to talk about Hendrix.

thorhammer

Joe Walsh and Ringo are married to sisters.

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on December 04, 2017, 04:10:16 PM
Are the wives sisters to each other? That would make it more interesting :)  
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Decker

Quote from: sdlehr on December 04, 2017, 06:00:46 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on December 04, 2017, 04:10:16 PM
Are the wives sisters to each other? That would make it more interesting :)  
Actually, they are both ex-nuns ;D

Maxed Out

We need a link to Jimmy Hendrix playing the star spangled banner at Woodstock......Absolutely amazing rendition !!

......and if'n your looking for another "99" build.......how bout a 1/0 with 66 seat and bars, and 99 spool  ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Decker

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 04, 2017, 06:31:18 PM
......and if'n your looking for another "99" build.......how bout a 1/0 with 66 seat and bars, and 99 spool  ;D

SWEEET, Ted...  I just don't know if I could bring myself to cannibalize a minty 1/0.

What do you think about the idea of cataloging franken-reels for the site?   Does it defeat the purpose?   I'd like to put together some kind of Penn reel "cookbook."  It would include inventor attributions, options, links to posts and photos, etc.

/Joe

Swami805

Boy that would be a ton of information but it would be great in one place. How to do it and navigate it would be the hard part I think.
Wasn't Ringo married to that good looking bond girl. I think she was in Moonraker? With that big dude Jaws? Jacking away!