Penn 50S Will Not Change Gear

Started by phil1841, June 27, 2011, 03:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil1841

I've got a Penn 50S which seems to be stuck in high gear.  The shift button pushes in normally, but the handle can not be pulled out into the low speed position.  Reel is in very good condition and has worked on many 10-day Fall long range trips.  However, it has been stored the last five years.  Opened it up and everything looks good. I've kept it well greased on the inside but have never attempted a disassembly of the shift mechanism.

Any thoughts?

Phil

Cowbass

When Penn 2speeds are in high gear they are pulled out. Going into low requires the button pushed and the handle settles into the reel. Closer to the reel. Maybe your doing it backwards?
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

JGB

It is possible that the shift pins in the handle arbor (shaft) are rusted or stuck in place.
There are 2 pins that stick out of the shaft and engage grooves in the shaft bore. When you push the button it allows the pins to move in flush with the shaft and you can then move the shaft in or out. You can remove the handle nut and add oil down the shaft and work the shift pin with a small screw driver to see if it moves freely. work it in and out and at the same time coax the handle shaft in or out to see if you can loosen the shaft shift pins. Also the gears may be rusted together   preventing you from pushing the handle in.

Hope you can get it working,
Jim N.

kamuwela

remove the right side plate then the handle and gear assembly. remove the gears from the shaft. note locating pins in shaft. these pins can get stuck or even fall out. once you get this deep im sure youll find the problem.

phil1841

Thanks guys!!

The reel is stuck in low gear - my bad on the first description  :-[

Will tear into it tonight.

Phil

alantani

you should be able to strip down the shifting mechanism and get it loose again.  please let us know!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

phil1841

It works!!!

Thanks for the tips - you guys were spot on with the issue.  Once I got everything apart - took some work getting the main gear assembly free from the sideplate - I worked the plunger and plunger pins with some CorrosionX until it everything was moving smoothly.  Got everything back together with a couple of minor distractions - learning curve I suppose.  She shifts smoothly now. 

Alan - your photos on the 30SW were extremely valuable in figuring this out - and giving me confidence to dig in.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Phil

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!