Penn 9 issues

Started by thorhammer, November 28, 2017, 03:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I have an affinity for 9, 209, 309's. 9's can be had cheaply and I use them for livebaiting stripers (ours aren't Lou-sized, obviously). I have about ten I had accumulated from flea markets, trades, etc. and stripped all down to parts. I have rebuilt many in this series but this assembly line seems to be giving me some issues: I built two and had the same binding issue when reeling, and no freespool. I disengaged levelwind as first culprit check (on one the worm seems a bit tight in the guide but that's not all of it.) It feels like maybe the new carbontex stack is a bit taller than the stock leather washers and may be binding, or possibly building FrankenNines has enough variation in parts  spread over a fifty year life span that there are some compatability challenges.

Thoughts?

foakes

Even though these LW's have a lot of moving parts that need to all play together well -- that actually makes them easier to troubleshoot.

Main functions can be eliminated for testing that will narrow down the issues to a few parts.

Like you have already done -- just disable the LW, if the issue is still there -- look to the drag stack -- eliminate one of the washers for testing.

If both of these are not the culprits -- look to the spool bearings, gear clearance, burrs, bent spool or bent spool shaft.

And it is true that when putting together many reels from loose parts -- many times parts need "adjusting".

Many times, things seem hard to diagnose on these LW's -- then as soon as you switch out the worm gear, worm drive gear, flat-lap a drag washer, replace the line guide -- any one of these -- everything works right.

Files, emory tape, dremels, burnishing wheels, etc. -- are all good for adjusting these issues.

And switching out parts until you get a fit.

Let us know how you do, John.

I have no doubts that you will figure it out perfectly.

My prediction is that you will have 9 or 10 perfectly functioning reels when you are done -- and only a cupfull of left over parts.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Lapped the washers up front. Good call on taking a drag out; even if I have to leave one out I think it would still pull  five-seven pounds with carbontex, which is about all I need. Worm was new, and noticeably snug. I did notice one cross bar seemed a few thousandths shorter than normal, maybe that's binding when screwed down, but doesn't explain the other reel...I have plenty of parts to switch around, lol.

Note the trays with surgical towels and parts in plano boxes...straight from the Fred Skool :)

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on November 28, 2017, 05:28:12 PM
Good call on taking a drag out, even if I have to leave one out I think it would still pull  five-seven pounds with carbontex, which is about all I need.
The HT-100s are pretty thick and squishy. Smoothdrag's carbontex is a bit thinner, it might be what you need. I've had this happen too...it's not uncommon. The clearance between the sideplate and the gear set is surprisingly close.

Quote from: thorhammer on November 28, 2017, 05:28:12 PM
Note the trays with surgical towels and parts in plano boxes...straight from the Fred Skool :)

Yes...good call on that system of Fred's. I need to start using those trays.
I'm using paper plates...sheesh...showing my amateur roots again! :D

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~