This is how you define a blistering run on a 700S

Started by thorhammer, December 10, 2017, 03:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Coffee can special acquired in estate sale. Never seen quite seen this before...stay tuned... we can rebuild him. We have the technology. 

Jim Fujitani

I'll guess the obvious:  melted due to high heat transfer from a fire?

I hope my 700S never looks like that!  Especially since it hasn't been out of my garage in about 6-8 years....

Gfish

Man! I own't even know WHAT that's supposed to look like...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Everything else looks intact including knob, guessing teak or rosewood.  Plastic levelwind intact I think. Head scratcher. Was able to remove c clip and whole melted click gear /brake star. No idea if Shimano has that available as s separate part yet. If not, will fab plugs or crossbar and just won't have levelwind or clicker. 

philaroman

why "head scratcher" ?  like the Boss said, looks like heat damage short of actual fire

that part does not undergo any kind of stress or wear -- it just has to keep its shape, so it's made of the lightest plastic that will do the job...  pretty reasonable to expect a much lower melting point than the durable dense nylon(?) "working" parts

thorhammer

Good point. Idler gears are typically nylon.  The levelwind cover looks to be polystyrene. Now I'm gonna have to not only fix it but run an IR scan and MP.

philaroman

I lucked into a cheap mystery lot (many Chronarch spools & handles) that I properly ID'd & sold off quite profitably -- a couple people bought high-end spools for the expressed purpose of pulling off that entire assembly, for transfer to a different spool / different model...  so, apparently that can be done, even though it's not a numbered part available for purchase & several models may be a source -- all the aluminum & steel should be OK, if the nylon is intact

thorhammer

Well noted! That totally looks to me like the type that Shimano would sell as a complete spool for a hundred bucks and oh btw they are OOS.   

This could get interesting.  I'm not above drilling it fir a penn clicker lol

handi2

I just might have one. I know i have the 400 size and i think i have a 700 bad spool.

Speaking of melting plastic a customer brought in a Daiwa Saltist spinning reel. It was still on a rod. Somehow the lure that was on the reel came loose as he was driving and when he got here all the line was gone, the drag knob melted and the plastic bushings in the line roller melted. You know that electrical melting smell? It was everywhere.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

Keith that's funny right there. Reminds of one of my favorite fishing stories : about 20 years ago fishing with a buddy at Mann's harbor bridge in Manteo N.C.  the wind hit his rattletrap into a passing van..  all we heard was "boink, wheeeeeeeee, pop!!!!" 

He was staring at his smoking reel like a ghost.  Me about peed me waders lol

Let me know if you come up with something and send you coin. Thanks fir checking!