Penn Squall 25N + 3/0 Tani Handle = Sweet!

Started by coastal_dan, December 21, 2016, 03:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

This may be a long read...so if you are in a hurry just scoot on down to the photos  ;D

On a recent Sea Bass trip I took along a Fathom 15 2 Speed along and caught a mess of fish with it.   It is an awesome little powerhouse of a reel...but (there is always a but), for fishing in 200' of water with 20 oz of lead it was just a tad too small with not enough line capacity and at 31 1/2" of line per handle turn it was a bit slow on the up and up in the 6.0:1 setting, and just way too slow in the low speed (understandably it had a ton of power down there though).

With that said I started hunting for a different reel to suit those conditions.  I ended up really digging the 25N Squall (6.0:1 W/ 40" Per Crank), the star drag was something I really wanted (The LD was nice, but I fidgeted with it a few times and had to adjust the preset based on how deep we were and the lead we were using).  Also, the thought of a graphite reel was intriguing for the saltwater conditions and the amount of raw water hitting your reel on the headboat trips.  I scored a brand new in box reel for $85 and was tickled pink...

Fast forward a couple days...I love Alans handles (as many of you fine folks do).  So the 3/0 was a must for this reel.  The ergo knobs just aren't that....ergonomic to me.  So, take out the grinder and drill and go to town...a little Red Thread Locker and presto...to me a perfect party boat reel that you don't need to empty the bank and it can get banged around abit.  I'll be filling it with 55 lb solid Daiwa braid and can't wait for next season.  ;D

A few process pictures...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/228Fzy3]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HeLFVX]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/228FzA7]

Thanks for reading.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Dominick

Nice reel, nice pictures.  Thanks for posting.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Cool Beans Dan.....couple questions......

1. What is the advantage of the 5/0 over the 3/0 handle?   If the 5/0 provides more ????, then why not use that size exclusively.....
2. After removing the stock handle is it then toast and of no further use or can it be used somewhere else....

Ohhh BTW my middle son is named Dan also...or as I call him Dan-Dan   ;D..........Thank you for any input.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

coastal_dan

The 5/0 is nicer for the bigger reels and the 3/0 for smaller reels, the smaller balanced nicely with the small frame.  That's just my opinion though...

As far as the knob, it is unusable once cut from the handle arm, the stainless pin that the handle slides on gets cut off.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

Bill, that 5/0 size is probably good on any reel size from 4/0 up. I have them on six of my 4/0's and they almost look too large for them, but are plenty comfortable. I have the 3/0 on my Super Jigmaster.

Dan, I think you got a perfect setup for your application: big grip with offset to get some meat on it, a fast retrieve, braid. I like it. I want to see your shop, what all else is laid out on that bench with Foakes-like surgical precision?

coastal_dan

A few too many projects John, haha!  J.C. Higgins trade reel (209 variance), 6/0, about 5 9m's and 109's and a couple random spinners...
Dan from Philadelphia...

handi2

Looks great Dan!

I dont know how you guys lay everything out so perfect. I just dump mine on the table and start working ::)
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on December 22, 2016, 12:44:01 AM
Looks great Dan!

I dont know how you guys lay everything out so perfect. I just dump mine on the table and start working ::)
;D ;D so do I Keith, I line them up only when I show them off here ;D
Your stuff are on their way.

Good job Dan, I like that reel as well.
There are many handles out there and I like most of them, but Alan still has the best shaft on that knob.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: handi2 on December 22, 2016, 12:44:01 AM
Looks great Dan!

Me too Keith. I tend to scan for parts as I build them so I know where they are on the workspace.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

I know the photos are gone from this, so I'll try to re-upload.  But just wanted to say, this reel set up is perfect for what I intended...nice power for the 175' - 200' depth with a lot of speed.  That handle in the 3/0 size feels especially nice on this small reel.  The reel felt great, even with 1/8" of clam juice and guts smeared all over it.  After a quick soak in the shower with me and a little towel off, it looks new again.  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Rancanfish

Far be it for me to wonder why to buy another reel, but...

Couldn't you just use the Baja (113n) you have?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

coastal_dan

Sorry I missed that question!  I honestly ask myself the same thing.  The 113N is def. heavier and larger but could easily do the small lead fishing as well.  The Squall 25N is nice and lightweight, with a perfect 'palm' size.

I have contemplated selling the Squall and Tsunami rod/reel combo and investing in a custom rod for the 113N that could pull double duty as a seabass stick and tilefish stick, something with a fast taper and serious backbone...sensitive enough to feel little bites but strong enough to hoist up 3 - 4 lbs of lead.  Time will tell I guess...I love the 113N, and now with Adams handle arm, Alan's handle, Tom's Bridge and Teds Eccentric it is that much better...
Dan from Philadelphia...