International 20

Started by swill88, December 16, 2017, 06:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Last year I almost bought my first International from Fred (it was a great deal!) but backed off because I realized it was a 2 speed I was looking for.

Yesterday, this arrived and for just a few dollars more than I've paid for a single speed Pro Gear.
Time for a tuna trip!

International 20 with Cal Sheets upgrades:
2 speed conversion
Blueprinted for 80#
Sleeved with new bearings
** upgraded aluminum seat

Any more info or recommendations anybody has on this reel is appreciated.

Rod recommendations? I've got a Calstar 6455XXH A/R which should work.
My heaviest reel.

Thanks, Steve

Swami805

The gold aluminum clamps are nice it you have the stock one. Great reel, Nice score
Do what you can with that you have where you are

swill88

Dominick

Steve I have an almost new 20.  I did not know the 20 could be converted.  It's so pretty I made it a shelf queen.  Good luck with yours.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on December 16, 2017, 07:33:18 PM
Steve I have an almost new 20.  I did not know the 20 could be converted.  It's so pretty I made it a shelf queen.  Good luck with yours.  Dominick

Thanks Dominick.  Forgot to mention the Cal Sheets upgrades seat. Big difference for higher drag settings.

Dominick

BTW holding 4 lbs is fatiguing.  Stick it the rod holder.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SoCalAngler

If you indeed are looking for a new rod, most of the big game rods for our Southern California long-range fishing are now just using ring guides instead of rollers.

thorhammer

Steve, loving Alan's 5/0 grip and arm on my 20 and 30 Ints.   

swill88

Quote from: thorhammer on December 16, 2017, 09:56:46 PM
Steve, loving Alan's 5/0 grip and arm on my 20 and 30 Ints.   

Good call John...  is Alan's arm as thick as the stock?  Very solid.

thorhammer

About the same, plus Alan's are stainless and the throw is a bit longer by maybe half an inch. Really nice if you were to be in low gear grinding it out.

alantani

another peek down the rabbit hole......  nice reel!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Quote from: swill88 on December 16, 2017, 06:14:43 PM
Last year I almost bought my first International from Fred (it was a great deal!)

Thanks, Steve

Kind of glad you didn't buy it Steve -- and held out for a 2-speed.

It was so nice, I decided to keep it for myself.

Talked to Cal & his son about doing a 2-speed conversion at the Fred Hall show last March.

With the Accurate narrow setup -- it should come out good.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 16, 2017, 08:51:14 PM
If you indeed are looking for a new rod, most of the big game rods for our Southern California long-range fishing are now just using ring guides instead of rollers.

What's a newer rod choice for this heavy guy at 80#?

Can I cast and live line with this heavy guy?

Steve

Swami805

If you're thinking for tuna fishing off boats in San Diego Then about 6 1/2 to 7 1/2'. All heavy ring guides with a long durable fore grip for laying on the rail. I see you're in Brentwood. Go down to island tackle in Carson and check some out. Let them know what you have in mind, they're very helpful and hardcore fisherman themselves. Have all the different brands and what have you. Bob Sands in Van nuys is decent too but I drive the extra 45 minutes to carson. A lot of choices.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

swill88

Quote from: Swami805 on December 17, 2017, 02:40:42 AM
If you're thinking for tuna fishing off boats in San Diego Then about 6 1/2 to 7 1/2'. All heavy ring guides with a long durable fore grip for laying on the rail. I see you're in Brentwood. Go down to island tackle in Carson and check some out. Let them know what you have in mind, they're very helpful and hardcore fisherman themselves. Have all the different brands and what have you. Bob Sands in Van nuys is decent too but I drive the extra 45 minutes to carson. A lot of choices.

Thanks Sheridan.... trouble is I'm in Brentwood in the CA Delta... and I've got a 310 phone #... so confusing.

I go to His' Tackle Box in south city. Or the Fred Hall Show in March..,.