Penn 310 gti

Started by Flats an blues, December 17, 2017, 06:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flats an blues

Hello first post here I've been  using your info cleaning an lube my reels an thank you for info it's helped a lot  I have 6 =320 gti I use for flathead an blues,and just got a 310gti   i  thought i wanted a smaller reel an not sure I like the direct drive switch.  Is their a way to disable it  looks like it could get switched  accidently in out of rod holders  I'd like to disable it I've tried Abu 6500 an their to little  an I just like penn as I have a lot of spinners also

alantani

the 310 tutorial is here.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7.0  if you pull the pin out, the entire switch comes out.  that would be one way. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

PNWReels

I have repaired/cleaned hundreds, maybe thousands, of Penns: 9, 10, 109, 209, 310, 320, etc. I have finally met my match. I have a Penn 310 gti that will not reel in line.

I have replaced pinion & main gears, fiber washers, even added a tension spring on washers and under star drag. It still will not engage/reel in. HELP! :al
Susie @ PNW Reel Repair

alantani

the pinion gear has to drop down and engage the shoulders of the spool shaft.  it might be an issue in there, somewhere.  alternatively, the eccentric jack is not moving enough to lower the yoke. 

all things you've looked already, huh..... ???

JasonGotaProblem

Can you reassemble without the spool, and watch what the pinion does when you flip the switch? Is it moving in and out?

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

PNWReels

To Alan's reply, yes, the pinion fits the spool and is seated.
Jason - I checked your idea and the pinion is engaged when I flip the bale.

I replaced everything: pinion, main, dog, spring, eccentric. I'm just gonna have to call this as "the one that beat me." I have a nice 320 gti - I'll send that with this guy's reel. Hopefully, I'll save face (and self-loathing) with the backup reel.

Thanks guys! Very much.
Susie @ PNW Reel Repair

JasonGotaProblem

If you still have it assembled with the spool removed and frankly have none left to lose, i would try to grab the pinion with a pair of pliers and see if it turns at all when you turn the handle.

I hate accepting defeat. I'd rather throw 10 more hours at it than acknowledging I've been beaten by an inanimate object. But that's just me.

I would attempt to assemble the gear sleeve/main/drags/spaces/star/handle assembly without the side plate, tighten the drag, and see if the gear moves with the handle without slipping. Maybe you've tried that already and if so i apologize for saying obvious things.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Is the spool spindle spinning in the spool?  Can you add pictures ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bill B

I'm with Jason and hate to admit defeat by an inanimate object.  I look at it like the old saying that if you put 100 monkeys in a room with 100 typewriters you will eventually get a novel.  Obviously something is not in the right place.  As stated before is the pinion engaging the spool, etc.

Let's look at the less obvious; it the drag star tightened down, are the bridge plate screws in the correct hole (fully threaded vs partially threaded). I'm assuming this reel was brought in for repair by a customer, did they take it apart prior to you seeing it?  If so parts could be missing.  Stay with it, and eventually it will be running as it should.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!