1st Fish off my Kayak from Metalman aka Bert Wong Jr.

Started by alantani, June 30, 2011, 11:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Alan, tried again to put this on your site, but "upload folder full", so I'm sending this to your e-mail to share with you...

Sent this to Chuck Johnston at Hawaii Fishing News. Please check out www.aquahunters.com

1st Fish off my Kayak

Hi Chuck, I just turned 50 years old a few days ago so this is a belated birthday to myself. I've done fishing all my life, from shore and my friend Douglas Peebles, where I learned how to go after pelagics from his boat some years ago. I've read HFN throughout my lifetime, but never thought I'd land something that would be worthy to submit to your magazine.  It was only last year, Tom Leinweber  talked me into getting into kayaks again (wife and I had scramblers years ago), so after he let me try his a few times, I was sold on it and bought myself a used  Hobie Adventure Island.

I want to first thank Isaac "Rocket" Brumaghim  who started the AQUAHNTERS group for teaching me everything I know about kayak fishing (LOT different than boat fishing!!!).Without these people's  knowledge and friendship (and taking on an "older" newbie), catching this tuna would never have been possible. All year long, I haven't caught a fish off of my kayak since I bought it.

1st of all let me start by saying to guys like Isaac, the Uyeda Brothers (Kevin and Gareth), Chris " The Hammah" Paglinawan,  Andy Cho, David "Boogie-D" Elgas, Doc, Rob and all you guys who catch big fish and do it by paddle only; I succumb to your awesomeness. I  unfortunately, aren't as good as you, by no means, and my Makahiki scores have been proving it. Todays events just ripped my self-esteem apart even more...I met Mongoose on the West side of Oahu and he got in the water at 6:30am. I left and got in at 7am. Knowing the winds were up today, we planned not to go out past 2 miles... I had my frozen opelu and trying different rigs that Rocket, Doc, Boogie, Hammah and the Uyeda Bros showed me (sorry guys, promised to keep it a secret). But for almost 4 hours, nothing worked...So I said to heck with it; called Mongoose and told him I was just going to go back and forth and troll my lures (like I did in my "boat" days when I used to and learned how to fish with Douglas Peebles).  2 rigs/lures, and ½ hour later, the lure Mongoose gave me for my birthday the other day went SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheeted in my sail, brought in the other pole and started reeling her in. Took 1/3 of my line, but easy to bring it in. Thought shibi, ono, or shark. SCREAMED OUT AGAIN!!! This time, took ½ my spool (ANCIENT  4/0 wide penn reel  overhauled by Alan Tani, 100lb PP from Kevin Uyeda and topped off with 100 feet of 60lb mono....yes, I said mono!).  All of a sudden, line went slack.. CR@P!! Started reeling in as fast as I could, then started feeling drag and head shakes again: WHEW!!! Got to the mono leader and SCREEEEAMED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This time almost spooled me.......Put down drag just a hair more so it wouldn't take the rest, figure either that or lose the fish once the line ran out anyway...still held. Next 2 hours was (Rocket's words stuck in my mind: BOOSTING... and BOOSTING...and BOOSTING!!!) Well, with Mongoose circling me, I figured shark, ono or whatever (we both figured shibi), I thought It would be a good idea to have his gaff as a backup in case it was too big (for me) for my kage...

It was pulling me out more enough where the higher winds started catching me and the fish was pulling me. All the time worried that I would lose it at the yak, my knots would come undone (thanks Kevin ;) ) or shark would take part or the whole thing. I brought it up and it was BIGG!!!!!!!!!!!  Most of the time I would get line, then it would take it right back out and more...Mongoose said that I better say the heck with it and tighten up on the drag, lose it/schmooze it... Last ½ hour, the head shakes stopped, and now it was strictly boosting...Got it to leader again and this time, saw color.  Yelled to Mongoose SHIBI!!!! After all that, I was hoping Ahi. Grabbed Mongoose's gaff, stuck it in the mouth and boosted it onto my hakas. Mongoose said at LEAST 100lbs!!! By now, the waves were choppy and the winds picked up. With all the extra weight, I wasn't making headway and Mongoose offered to tow me. After he hooked up to my bow, for ½ hour we tried, but too much water was coming into my yak and I couldn't bail, 'cause if I opened the hatch, I would have totally flooded for sure. Wasn't working; so Mongoose said he would wave down a boat coming into the harbor from the Ahi Fever tournament (just ended)....Boat soon came and hooked me up. As much as I didn't want to, I either let the fish go, or take the tow. I succumbed....I needed this fish for my dad for father's day. The guys in the boat said," No problem, we hook you up!!!" As we got to close to the shore as was safe for the boat,  I gave my name and phone number to the woman on the boat.  A guy in a Hobie revolution  pulled me the rest of the way to the shore (Guys..this is embarrassing...I HELP people in trouble...NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND !!!!!). Big crowd was already gathered there on the beach and helped me pull my kayak up high enough on the sand. Wife met me there with my larger cooler and ice, Mongoose and I (along with some kids that saw how wiped out I was...(I guess they had pity and had to help out "uncle") helped us load everything up and all 3 of us headed to the scales at the boat harbor. They were amazed... The scales were off , but the lead guy called the person to bring back the scales, just for me. Official weight:  103.8lbs. Good day/Bad (embarrassing) day. Went by 7-11, bought 3 more bags ice. Went home, called my friend and her husband to help me cut up the fish. Went home and vacuum packed almost everything.  The boat that towed me didn't have a name in the back: older boat, probably a 22 footer, white with a light blue sponson.  The woman on the boat was doing sign language to the crew, so if anyone knows them, tell them to call me.

I also want to thank all the officials and crew at the Ahi Fever Tournament to go out of their way to help me get an official weight, Mongoose who had my back the whole time in case Mr. Sharky came by, Tom Leinweber who got me to buy and use my Hobie Adventure Island kayak, taught me how to make my hakas and who introduced me to Aquahunters, Mongoose who designed my rod holders and to Rocket who started the world renown AQUAHUNTERS and THE CREW, so guys like me can catch the fish of a lifetime.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it ;) .

Sincerely,

Metalman aka Bert Wong Jr.

p.s. Check out www.aquahunters.com for all the information you want to know about kayak fishing. 

Kaneohe, Hawaii

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Oh yeah...forgot to mention: Fought it for 3 hours and 10 minutes....
aloha,
bert

redsetta

Amazing story, Bert - felt like I was right there with ya!
Thanks for sharing it, loved every minute.
Congratulations, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Good job Bert.  Nice fish.  Good report.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Hey Bert how are you, nice fish with a nice story. I remember not long ago you where thinking of giving up on that reel and we talked to you about hanging in there and that it would all work out and be rewarding in the end, boy was I right. Very nice Bert, I'm happy for you. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

That's an awesome fish to go with your awesomeness.

Woo hoo, hanapa'a bradah.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Hi Alan,
I tried to update my story, but again, it said upload folder full. Can you post this for me (with picture??)
Aloha, Bert :)

Thanks gentlemen :)!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, after that day, the reel hasn't been working the same :(
I might have waited too long, but 2 days later, I realized, I heard that you were supposed to take off all the line and
reel it back in "normally", since I reeled up that big fish, and all the line was tight around the spool...
So I went to the park, and walked a few of the football fields back and forth. Last time I used it was yesterday (no bites) and the free spool wasn't "free", so I helped it by pulling line manually, and when I reel the line in, it "slips" and I have to keep tightening up the r.s. bearing as I do it, but still it's hard.
I'm going to take the whole thing apart tonight and see if I can see something obvious...
Well, the night I caught the fish, I shaved and the next day I cut my hair (thank God!! :D)
But like I told my club members, next 3 Makahiki days of whitewash, the hair's going back on!!! ;D ;D
Here is a pic of the couple that towed me in. I was able to hook up with them through the people from Hawaii Fishing News.
I brought them a bunch of fish I saved for them, and they showed me their lured they used to catch their 700lb (+) Black Marlin earlier this year.....
Aloha,
MM

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on July 06, 2011, 04:08:43 AM

Well, the night I caught the fish, I shaved and the next day I cut my hair (thank God!! :D)

Hey Bert, Metal Man: Go back to the long hair bearded look.  It makes you look like a true Hawaiian fisherman.  I like that rugged fisherman look.  I would like to hear a consensus on this.  Hey you Reel Guys weigh in.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Brian A

seaeagle2

Wow, what fish, what a story, bet that will be the best tasting fish you ever eat  ;D
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

alantani

yeah, i have to admit that i like the "old man and the sea" look.......   ;D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.