Diawa millionaire reels

Started by valkie, December 25, 2017, 07:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valkie

I have searched this wonderful font of information, but cannot find anything other than the occasional comment about Diawa millionaire reels.

I am thinking of purchasing a 300 or 250 for general fishing.
I currently have a Diawa Laguna which has served me well for several years.
This wonderful board helped me rebuild it last year and gain a few more years, but I am looking at a new reels and am drawn to the Diawa millionaire range.

Could anyone give me some advice
Are these reels any good or are they rubbish.

I have two Penn reels, one is fantastic, one is rubbish.
As I found out when asking the question afterward, and you Learners gentlemen have told me.

So before I from out cold cash, this time, I ask you opinions.

Thanking you in advance
life's pretty dull without fishing

exp2000

Quote from: valkie on December 25, 2017, 07:49:33 AM
I have searched this wonderful font of information, but cannot find anything other than the occasional comment about Diawa millionaire reels.

I am looking at a new reels and am drawn to the Diawa millionaire range.

The Millionaire reels were the predecessors to the Luna range which is currently being phased out.

Here in Australia, Daiwa are still marketing the iconic Luna 300 but the spare parts situation is entirely unreliable.

Both models are similar to the extent that many parts are interchangeable between the two but you would be better off buying a Luna as the Millionaires have been discontinued for well over ten years now. If money is an object, I would recommend buying a Shimano Calcutta B series as there are some great bargains on these at the moment and the spares situation is very good.

The Millionaire/Luna reels represent the pinnacle of Daiwa round style baitcaster engineering and are superb reels.

I suggest that you verify that you can unscrew the line-guide end cap as these can become so solidly seized that a torch and vice-grips are sometimes necessary to remove it.

I particularly enjoy servicing Lunas as I really appreciate such fine engineering. I own a Luna 300 myself.

Be warned though, there is a cheap production that borrowed the Millionaire name - the "Millionaire S".

It is unfortunate that Daiwa engages in such practices because it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of unwitting consumers who identify the name with the original high end productions.

nelz

The Luna's are being phased out, really? What's replacing them?

The Luna 300 is a beauty for sure.

valkie

Quote from: exp2000 on December 25, 2017, 11:21:52 AM
Quote from: valkie on December 25, 2017, 07:49:33 AM

I am looking at a new reels and am drawn to the Diawa millionaire range.

Thanks for your help

The Millionaire reels were the predecessors to the Luna range which is currently being phased out.

Here in Australia, Daiwa are still marketing the iconic Luna 300 but the spare parts situation is entirely unreliable.

Both models are similar to the extent that many parts are interchangeable between the two but you would be better off buying a Luna as the Millionaires have been discontinued for well over ten years now. If money is an object, I would recommend buying a Shimano Calcutta B series as there are some great bargains on these at the moment and the spares situation is very good.

The Millionaire/Luna reels represent the pinnacle of Daiwa round style baitcaster engineering and are superb reels.

I suggest that you verify that you can unscrew the line-guide end cap as these can become so solidly seized that a torch and vice-grips are sometimes necessary to remove it.

I particularly enjoy servicing Lunas as I really appreciate such fine engineering. I own a Luna 300 myself.

Be warned though, there is a cheap production that borrowed the Millionaire name - the "Millionaire S".

It is unfortunate that Daiwa engages in such practices because it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of unwitting consumers who identify the name with the original high end productions.

Purchased a Calcutta 200b today.
Feels great, nice reel.

I adjusted the weights to practice a bit, but may further adjust as I get used to the reel..

Thanks for the help.
life's pretty dull without fishing

exp2000

Quote from: nelz on December 26, 2017, 07:37:14 AM
The Luna's are being phased out, really? What's replacing them?

The Luna 300 is a beauty for sure.

Yep. I love them too.

Australia are still marketing the 300 for now but I notice that the USA site still lists all models.

I can really identify with Alan Hawk's frustration with the inconsistency of Daiwa global politics.

The situation here in Australia can only be described as dire with the parts manager position rolling over every few months of late.

I have heard that the Lexa is poised to be the replacement candidate but how accurate this information is I would not care to speculate.
~