Stainless rings for a 349 Master Mariner

Started by mhc, December 20, 2017, 09:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Mike I have some button head 5/8" screws for the 349. If they are any use to you. I can post a set n/c.
They look like this when mounted (or just holding hands ;D)

mhc

Thanks for the offer Chris, that's very decent of you (considering how the 17 - 18 Ashes Series are going  ;D), but the countersunk screws I ordered have arrived.
I didn't think of using button head screws although after looking at your photo I probably should have. I modified the countersunk heads to fit and ended up with a similar effect the button head would have given with less effort.

Using a bench grinder and belt sander, I ground the heads to fit in a 5 mm hole then tapered the top side;

Repeat 17 times;

And compared to the stock screw;

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rothmar2

Chris, I'm not in a position to make any more of these rings in the foreseeable future. I was only able to get a set made for Mike on the last swing I did on offshore vessels. Sadly, for me at least, this work has now dried up. I no longer have access to a robust lathe, and these rings, while not completely beyond the capability of my mini lathe, would take many hours of machining to make just one ring on it.

Fred, that clock is amazing. Much like the Livermore Centenial Lightbulb, these pieces highlight the huge problem corporate greed has caused to this earth. Pride and craftsmanship in product, has long been replaced by the lust for profit, and volume of sales. We have the technology, and materials to produce products that should last many many lifetimes. But in our "modern throwaway society", producing ever-lasting products just isn't good for "business".

It's a very sad fact of life these days.

foakes

Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 22, 2017, 09:49:30 AM
Fred, that clock is amazing. Much like the Livermore Centenial Lightbulb, these pieces highlight the huge problem corporate greed has caused to this earth. Pride and craftsmanship in product, has long been replaced by the lust for profit, and volume of sales. We have the technology, and materials to produce products that should last many many lifetimes. But in our "modern throwaway society", producing ever-lasting products just isn't good for "business".

It's a very sad fact of life these days.

You are unfortunately right, Rothmar --

When I was a much younger man, an old time machinist told me something that has always stuck with me through the decades since --

He said, "When a man puts his name on his work, you can generally be assured it will last.  If it is a company name, or corporation -- 9 times out of 10 you will find out sooner rather than later -- why his personal name is not obvious on the finished product".

I get guys asking me to just do part of a reel -- or it doesn't have to be cosmetically perfect -- just so I can fish.  I do it for them my way -- and they are pleased, surprised, and I have no comebacks.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Fred - one of my jobs (seems like a previous life!) was making life test jigs for various types of telecomms equipment (relays, switches, selectors, reed switches, buttons etc.) the biggest problem was making the 'Life Test machine' outlive the product, no joke. A 2 to 3 year period of my life taught me so much about engineering longevity into a product.
Unfortunately todays 'engineering sciences' seem to preach how long before the new model arrives, and that will do!!!!. 'and that will do!!!!' Whatever happened to engineering excellence? Service and parts support - forget it.

Thanks to this forum some aspecs of engineering, at its best, will survive - Thank you Ohana :-*

Ok rant over. Back to your cable or satellite tv - not you Daron ;)

mhc

Before I put the reel together, I cut a couple of 2.5 mm thick spacers to fill the gap in the plates where the harness lugs go;

And assembled the reel;

And photobombed by a Cortez Conversions 349 frame  ;D

Mike

STRIPER LOU

Looks sweet and smooth Mike. Nice work!

..................Lou

mhc

Thanks Lou, it isn't in the same class as the spectacular green and gold 4/0 you showed us recently.
It takes on a different look wearing Tom's frame with a Newell top bar;

Thanks again for making these frames Tom and thanks again Chris for the SS rings.

Mike

Tiddlerbasher

Donnyboat

Hi Chris were did you get you button head screws from, I would like to buy some, I still have the 349, that Mike sent me parts for, & I also brought another 349 yesterday, for AU $ 55 delivered home, that I think is a low price considering they are becoming hard to get, at Mike now that I have 2, 349 reels I will make one schmick reel out of the 2, with the parts you gave me, have court 6 WA dhu fish with that reel I restord out of the garbage rubbish bin, the heaviest dhuey was about 6 to 7 Kg, 77cms long, thanks for showing your reel mike it looks great, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Don - I had an English company make a batch for me - they weren't available anywhere else :(
PM me your address I'll send a set nc. These are 5/8" long so some may need a trim if your using the standard stand.
I think the biggest advantage of button heads is that they don't try to flare the countersunk depression in the ring - they just sit flat on top = less split rings ;)

Donnyboat

Hi Chris, I have sent you an, email, I expect to pay Chris, Postage from the UK to Western Australia, will sting you, or oneway or the other, I will even up, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Maxed Out

Wow Mike, that is by far the nicest 349 I've laid eyes on  :o  :o

....and rock solid to boot !!

Thanks for sharing your gem with the ohana

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Recoil Rob

Gentlemen, new guy here. What exactly do you use the mariner 349 for, what type fishing? I have one I bought  35 years ago for wireline trolling of stripers here in Long Island sound. I haven't used it since I have gone to lighter trolling methods. Wirelining not being a popular anymore here in the Northeast.
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn