Stainless rings for a 349 Master Mariner

Started by mhc, December 20, 2017, 09:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Chris (Rothmar2) has been quietly making more master pieces - I received a set of 316 stainless 349 rings in the mail last week. As we have come to expect, they are spot on, great machining with a brilliant polished finish. Thanks a million Chris.

Chris IDs the material on the inside of the rings;

The subtle differences in Penn side plate sizes was highlighted when I test fitted these on a few sets of plates. They are an easy fit on a red set I have;

They are also a good fit on the black plates Chris used as a template but are a little too tight on a couple of black sets I tried - not by much but they wouldn't fit in the recess around the outside edge of the tail plate;

I wanted to use the black set with a single eccentric lever, so I filed a little material around the edge of the recess with a triangular file;

I've been picking up the parts for tanked 349 for a few years and it is turning into an 'Ohana' reel with parts made by a lot of our members here.
- Stainless rings by Chris (Rothmar2)
- Off set SS handle, SS star and versa drag insert by Adam (Threesevens)
- 3/0 Grip and SS gear sleeve by Alan Tani (Alan Tani) ;D
- Stainless dogs by Lee (Keta)
- Stainless spacer bars by Alan C (Pro Challenger)
- Custom SS stand and triple dog bridge by me
- Aluminium half frame by Tom (Cortez Conversions) has been ordered and will replace my stand.

I've ordered some SS 5/8" countersunk screws and will post a photo of the completed reel after they arrive.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rothmar2

The next "Monster Mariner" is almost alive. That is gonna be one brutal reel when done!

Donnyboat

Look good Mike, keep us posted, cant wait, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

and a partridge in a pear tree....wow...can't wait to see the result!

Tiddlerbasher

mo65

You fellas are so talented...gonna be a killer reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tiddlerbasher

Chris - if youre going to make a bunch of 349 rings I could us a pair of outer rings :)

alantani

penn should have been doing this 80 years ago.  imagine how many of these reels would still be in service if they had used stainless steel parts!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Chris made a set for the Tank.  :)  Thanks again Chris.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Quote from: alantani on December 20, 2017, 06:45:32 PM
penn should have been doing this 80 years ago.  imagine how many of these reels would still be in service if they had used stainless steel parts!   :-\

Yep, good materials and simplicity are key.

Here is an old Chas C. Hutchinson Ship's Bell clock from about 1900.

Made in Boston, it was a gift to Sue's Grandfather the year he was Commodore of the Boston Back Bay Yacht Club.

Wind it up every 8 days -- it keeps the exact same accurate time as our new electronic digital clocks.  And not affected by power outages.

Been serviced twice in 117 years, coil spring replaced once 8 years ago.

Neat to hear the chiming as it sounds off the various maritime watch times every 30 minutes.

We live in a disposable society today -- where profit and corporate scheming rule the day.

Gone are the companies who took immense pride in their craft.

That pride is still alive and well on AlanTani.com!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Thanks for the kind words, I'm feeling lucky to have all these great parts available to assemble this reel - I don't remember exactly, but it was probably 4 years ago I bought the spool off of the auction site and over 2 years since I did the 3 dog bridge - I should of thought to order the side plate screws earlier  ;D

Quote from: alantani on December 20, 2017, 06:45:32 PM
penn should have been doing this 80 years ago.  imagine how many of these reels would still be in service if they had used stainless steel parts!   :-\

Yeah, it can cost prohibitive to repair or restore some of the older Penns that have corroded parts. Carl Newell had the right idea using a lot of stainless in his reels, maybe that's one of the reasons they are still so popular and bringing higher prices.

Fred, That clock is an impressive piece of maritime history - is the case made from a nickel alloy like german silver? The fact that it's still in such great condition after being in Sue's family for two generations and counting, is testament her grandfather must have valued and cared for it and passed on that respect for fine craftsmanship.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.